What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » European mobile system?

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
European mobile system?
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: European mobile system?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I'm not 100% sure if E-GSM is the same as GSM though, it might be, but don't take my word for it
It's an extension to regular GSM900 as you said, but it is backwards compatible:
quote:
Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-GSM#E-GSM
Phones described as having "EGSM" or "EGSM 900" support both the original GSM 900 band and the extended band. Older phones with "GSM 900" may not support EGSM. Most newer phones with "GSM 900" do support EGSM, it is just not listed that way since it is assumed that newer phones support it.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-24-2010 09:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Ah, good to know... thx
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-24-2010 09:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
wacky

Chromo :wink:

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: European mobile system?
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
I'm sure there's wifi you can steal. Use that + Skype with a month of Worldwide (like $10 or something)

https://buy.skype.com/paymonthly/?currency=CAD&so...llSubscriptionsTab

Unlimited World

C$ 13.99/month2
hmm, I'm not sure I understand how that works
quote:
And Since Orange (The Netherlands) and Base (Belgium) have deals with eachother in regards to roaming, I think if you take an Orange/Base sim card you're good in both countries.

thanks :happy: I'll go for Orange when I get to the Netherlands
quote:
What exact type of phone is it?

it's a Nokia 2600 classic
http://www.nokia.com.au/find-products/all-phones/...sic/specifications
quote:
Also, Be carefull with using just a plug converter! For many devices (might also be your phone) it isn't enough to simply convert the plug!

The electrical grid in Europe is 220/240V and works on 50Hz, in US/Canada it is 100/120V working on 60Hz.

Plugging in a device which doesn't support the European voltage and frequency and you'll damage your device permanently.
yes, I know :happy: I found a converter that will work with the Australian charger and can fit in the European outlet. It's supposed to convert 220v to 120v
quote:
As for plugs:
Belgium, The Netherlands and Switzerland all have different kind of sockets.

Though, if you have a plug type C (without the earth), you can use it both in Belgium as in The Netherlands. The only difference between Belgium and The Netherlands is that in The Netherlands the earth is located on the side of the plug/socket, while in Belgium it is with a thick pin off-center in the middle.

If you do need earthing, make sure your plug supports both side and center earthing (commonly found in Belgium -almost all plugs have it-, a bit less common in The Netherlands), aka plug type E.

Switzerland uses a total different plug/socket (type J), which is incompatible with the ones use in Belgium or The Netherlands. Although, it might be that a plug type C also fits a socket type F, but I'm not sure about that (I suggest you don't try it though unless you know what you're doing).

A travel plug adapter can commonly be found in most hardware shops. You could also buy them in the Airport, though they would be a bit expensive.
(Plus, I have a whole bunch of them also, which came with other adapters. I have no use for them since they change a US/Canadian plug type to Belgium/Netherlands type... so I suppose you can have them).
Eep!! ok, I think I'll be alright for the Netherlands and Belgium but I'm not sure about Switzerland. I'll ask my Swiss friend. Here is a photo of the converter:
[Image: img000111.jpg]
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
I'm not 100% sure if E-GSM is the same as GSM though, it might be, but don't take my word for it
It's an extension to regular GSM900 as you said, but it is backwards compatible:
quote:
Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-GSM#E-GSM
Phones described as having "EGSM" or "EGSM 900" support both the original GSM 900 band and the extended band. Older phones with "GSM 900" may not support EGSM. Most newer phones with "GSM 900" do support EGSM, it is just not listed that way since it is assumed that newer phones support it.

ah (y)
06-24-2010 11:09 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by wacky
Pay the 13.99 for 1 month, open up Skype....dial a number and talk to them? It seems like a better idea for cost, and for the purpose. Ofcourse you'll need a laptop and internet connecton to run Skype :p (and a microphone).

This post was edited on 06-24-2010 at 11:11 PM by prashker.
06-24-2010 11:10 PM
wacky

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:
Pay the 13.99 for 1 month, open up Skype....dial a number and talk to them? It seems like a better idea for cost, and for the purpose. Ofcourse you'll need a laptop and internet connecton to run Skype :p (and a microphone).
ohhh ok sorry, I was thinking something way different. Well, that's the thing. I won't have a laptop and the only time I'll have internet is when I go to a net-café (and that might not even happen) :-/ thanks for the idea though!
06-24-2010 11:12 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
And Since Orange (The Netherlands) and Base (Belgium) have deals with eachother in regards to roaming, I think if you take an Orange/Base sim card you're good in both countries.
thanks :happy: I'll go for Orange when I get to the Netherlands
Orange doesn't exist in the Netherlands anymore though. They have been taken over by T-Mobile in 2007.

This post was edited on 06-24-2010 at 11:19 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-24-2010 11:17 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: European mobile system?
quote:
Orange doesn't exist in the Netherlands anymore though. They have been taken over by T-Mobile in 2007.
Ah... yeah... I should have know that (I used to had Orange, until it was taken over by Base in belgium, and whenever I'm in The Netherlands my network changes to T-Mobile). :$

---------

quote:
Eep!! ok, I think I'll be alright for the Netherlands and Belgium but I'm not sure about Switzerland. I'll ask my Swiss friend. Here is a photo of the converter:
That looks like it is a type C plug.

If it is also a so-called 'Europlug' (technical name CEE7/16) then it will fit a Swiss type J socket too.

If it is a French/German C plug (CEE7/17) then it might not fit the Swiss type J sockets, because the pins are thicker (5mm IIRC) than the holes of a type J socket (4mm IIRC).

This post was edited on 06-24-2010 at 11:51 PM by CookieRevised.
06-24-2010 11:41 PM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:

If it is also a so-called 'Europlug' (technical name CEE7/16) than it will fit a Swiss type J socket too.

If it is a French/German C plug (CEE7/17) it might not fit the Swiss type J sockets, because the pins are thicker (5mm IIRC) than the holes of a type J socket (4mm IIRC).
is there anything you dont know (A)
06-24-2010 11:46 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
Sure...
I don't know what the weather will be like in August in Belgium (and The Netherlands).... It can be as hot as 30°C during the summer or very very rainy and only like 15°C....

:P
06-24-2010 11:51 PM
wacky

– / – / Flag
quote:
Orange doesn't exist in the Netherlands anymore though. They have been taken over by T-Mobile in 2007
oh :chrongue: ok well I'll go for T-Mobile
quote:

If it is also a so-called 'Europlug' (technical name CEE7/16) than it will fit a Swiss type J socket too.

If it is a French/German C plug (CEE7/17) it might not fit the Swiss type J sockets, because the pins are thicker (5mm IIRC) than the holes of a type J socket (4mm IIRC).
hmmm I guess I'll measure it later :cheesy:
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy

that's why Cookie is the best! :gfdrin:
quote:
Sure...
I don't know what the weather will be like in August in Belgium (and The Netherlands).... It can be as hot as 30°C during the summer or very very rainy and only like 15°C....

:P
kind of like Montreal summer weather (except August is generally dry). Lets hope it'll be around 20-25 degrees with partly cloudy but mainly sunny skies!
06-24-2010 11:56 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: