What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Can't open encrypted chat logs

Can't open encrypted chat logs
Author: Message:
mawad

O.P. Can't open encrypted chat logs
hi, i'm cant open my chat logs although i'm using the right password, it says, wrong password. i'm sure the password is right and i didnt change it recently.
I could open them just one day ago.
i have recently set a filter to enable chat logging for certain contacts.
I use windows xp, windows messenger live, Messenger Plus version 4.84
please help the logs are so important to me
02-05-2011 10:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Can't open encrypted chat logs
Hi,

I'm afraid that if Messenger Plus! says it was the wrong password, that it realy was the wrong password you've typed. Or, that you have misstyped the password when you've set it up. The password wont change on its own, that's impossible. Also filtering on contacts have no influence what-so-ever on the encryption.

What could have happened is that your logs became corrupt because of a small (otherwise hidden) hard disk failure or something. If that is the case, then it would be possible, at least in theory, that Plus! will say that your password is wrong while it was the correct password. But in practice that is very unrealistic (because for that to happen, the corruption needs to be very specific on certain areas of the encrypted log file). Normally, Plus! would say that the logs are corrupt if they were, so....

Anyways, unfortunatly, there is no way to decrypt logs if you do not know the correct password. There is no 'backdoor', 'trick', 'master password' or whatever else...

Try any combination you can thing of, lowercased and uppercased letters. Also try certain different keys which are next to the ones you thought were the correct ones (eg: q instead of w (on a qwerty keyboard)), etc...

As a last resort you might wanna check if you haven't also enabled Windows Live Messenger's own chat logging. If so, there might be a chance that the logs are saved (unencrypted) by Messenger...

So, I hate to say it but if you can't produce the correct password, you're logs are lost I'm afraid.

:(

This post was edited on 02-05-2011 at 11:22 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-05-2011 11:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
mawad

O.P. RE: Can't open encrypted chat logs
Thank you for replying...
:(
I retyped it several times to make sure im not typing wrong..its same password i'm using since years and it just worked the day before yesterday..
02-06-2011 06:26 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
:S

This is an extremely longshot, and it most likely wont work either, but maybe you could try using the Log Viewer's command line options:
Encrypting, decrypting etc. of Plus! chatlogs

This post was edited on 02-06-2011 at 08:36 AM by CookieRevised.
02-06-2011 08:36 AM
mawad

O.P. RE: Can't open encrypted chat logs
This link didnt open :S
02-06-2011 09:34 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mawad
This link didnt open :S
hu?

The link in my previous post redirects to another post on this forum. If you can post here, you should be able to open that link.
02-06-2011 10:27 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: