What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Call technical information in windows live messenger

Call technical information in windows live messenger
Author: Message:
kamnak

44 / Male / –
O.P. Call technical information in windows live messenger
where I can find call technical information of video call in windows live messenger 2011. I can get this information while I make video call with skype but I can't find it in windows live messenger 2011. I whant to know what is FPS (frame per second) and video capture format (YUV2, MJPEG, H264...) of my webcam.
Thanks
Kamnak8-|
02-16-2011 04:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Call technical information in windows live messenger
I don't think it is made available. Last I knew the video codec was a custom one from Microsoft for Windows Live Messenger.
02-16-2011 04:05 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Call technical information in windows live messenger
quote:
Originally posted by kamnak
I whant to know what is FPS (frame per second) and video capture format (YUV2, MJPEG, H264...) of my webcam.
The FPS is highly influenced by various things like your connection speed, what you're camera produces, lag on the MS servers, even probably what switchboard servers your connection go thru, what type of connection your contacts have, and their lag, and their type of connection, etc, etc..

In a way, Microsoft's video connection is actually quite impressive (if it works :P) in the way that it has smart ways to try and connect to your contact, despite down servers, bad connections, etc. Of course, the downside is that the quality will drop significantly though. But better low quality than nothing at all...

So, what the FPS rate is can't be answered realy.

As for the video format: no idea. I think your best bet is to ask such a question in the comments sections on blogs from the developers I guess (some have blogs, not all though). Though, I can perfectly imagine that even not all developers know this (and if they know I'm not sure if they could share it). So, you need to be lucky to find the correct person, or someone who is willing to forward your question to the right person.

IIRC some information on this was once published on some 3rd party sites. But that was ages ago (like for MSN Messenger 6 or even before that). And since then the format has changed drastically (especially in WLM 2011), so I guess that wont be correct anymore either.

Thus, unless there is also some other geek out there who happens to know this, I'm afraid you will never know :P

May I ask why you wanna know this?

This post was edited on 02-16-2011 at 05:35 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-16-2011 05:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
kamnak

44 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Call technical information in windows live messenger

May I ask why you wanna know this?
My company is developing wireless USB solution. I want measure throughput of USB traffic while webcam is working on 720p.
thanks for your help.
02-17-2011 09:08 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: