What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Samsung LCD TV board

Samsung LCD TV board
Author: Message:
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Samsung LCD TV board
Ok guys and girls...

Basically my friend gave me this tv (for free I might add) and told me there was an issue and it wouldn't turn on. I figured I could fix it myself or take it in and get it fixed.

After looking at it; it seems like a hell of a lot of work. My question is has anyone done this type of repair and how hard was it to (A) get the parts and (B) do the repair.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1013629]

Edit: After looking on Ebay I noticed that a lot of the power boards appear to have the same white goo on them (maybe for insulation, or even caulking). Would it be safe to say that only the one capacitor needs to be replaced?

[Image: $(KGrHqN,!k0E2EWLN4WpBNtZMz!b6g~~_3.JPG]

.jpg File Attachment: board.jpg (145.02 KB)
This file has been downloaded 1521 time(s).

This post was edited on 05-05-2011 at 02:12 PM by matty.
05-05-2011 01:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Samsung LCD TV board
It's hard to tell where is the problem just looking. It could be one or more capacitores, or transistors, power regulators, transformers, ICs, so many things...
You could search on google for people with similar problems and how they solved them. If you find the schematic circuit, you can use a multimeter to check some points, maybe you can find the defective spot.
The white goo is used to glue some components, or keep them apart, or "seal" it (like sealing a trimpot, so nobody will dis-adjust it).
05-05-2011 07:12 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Samsung LCD TV board
The blown capacitor is in the upper right image (obviously 6 images in the collage) and it is the one that stands alone, then 3 above it then the ribbon above that.

The "glue" I thought may have been from the components popping but if that is not the case I can just solder some new capacitors and cross my fingers.
05-05-2011 07:17 PM
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
Oh, my bad, I couldn't see the blown capacitor. (A little hard to see on the pic though :P)

Well, that's easy then, just read it's specs, and replace with another with exaclty the same specs.

And one last thing: it blew up for a reason, and if that happened during normal operation circumstances, it might happen again sooner or later.

PS: do NOT solder the new capacitor with the wrong polarization (sort of obvious, just a remind).
05-06-2011 12:08 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I feel obligated to give a big warning though:

A TV works with very high-voltages and as such it is extremely dangerous to work on it if you do not know what you're doing!

Also note that it is not just enough to unplug the TV. Internal components (especially like capacitors) can hold a (still deadly) current long after the TV has been unplugged.

EDIT: I just notice it is an LCD :p, I thought you were talking about a TV with picture-tube which are very dangerous to work on if you aren't qualified. Still, beware of left-over currents nevertheless.

--

Other than that, many components are usually standard and you can get them in most electronic shops/radioshacks (edit: this goes for those older TV sets. For more modern flat panel TVs you may have a harder time tracking the exact same component down). But as Chancer already said, make absolutely sure you get the exact same component with the exact same specs in all cases.

The white goo does not come from the components blowing up. It is indeed glue and is there to hold the component in place so it doesn't touch another component (insulation) and even act as a heat dispenser. If a component blows up you usually see some small blackening on the component itself (or sometimes just nothing).

PS: I assume you already have checked the fuses?

This post was edited on 05-15-2011 at 10:21 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-06-2011 08:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
kao
Veteran Member

boring

36 / Male / Flag
We've had a couple of samsung TVs stop working at work because of blown capacitors, someone just soldered some new ones on and they're all fine now.
05-14-2011 09:31 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
I forgot I had created this thread.

Just pointing out that 3 or 4 capacitors were blown (top right photo). I resoldered new ones that were 25v instead of 20v and TV works beautifully.
02-07-2012 04:32 PM
gazraken
Banned

RE: RE: Samsung LCD TV board
quote:
Originally posted by matty

Just pointing out that 3 or 4 capacitors were blown (top right photo).
Where are they? I can't find them..

This post was edited on 02-24-2012 at 02:10 PM by gazraken.
02-23-2012 01:23 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
[Image: attachment.php?pid=1019360]

.jpg File Attachment: board2.jpg (167.73 KB)
This file has been downloaded 905 time(s).
02-24-2012 01:46 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: