What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Another sponsor thread (Sorry! I know, I know!)

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Another sponsor thread (Sorry! I know, I know!)
Author: Message:
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Another sponsor thread (Sorry! I know, I know!)
quote:
Originally posted by zach
I think the installer could have been made clearer like a box that you have to tick which you would miss if you were like your sister. Not everyone is computer savvy.

Well, when you choose to install or not to install the sponsor nothing is ticked by default, and the option that installs it clearly says sponsor. I don't think it can be made any simpler, because to be honest, even if Patchou wants to avoid problems with people installing the sponsor in mistake he still wants you to install it and make money. About the original problem, your sister broke her promise, that's the source of the problem. If you really want your computer clean you shouldn't let ohters who aren't that computer experienced use it, but that is indeed a bit harsh. Also, there are loads of ohter software with adware like this (even if Plus! is made for younger people aswell, at least used by them).
[Image: signature.php]
05-16-2006 04:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hah

Im in a good mood - take advantage!

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: RE: Another sponsor thread (Sorry! I know, I know!)
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
quote:
Originally posted by zach
I think the installer could have been made clearer like a box that you have to tick which you would miss if you were like your sister. Not everyone is computer savvy.

Well, when you choose to install or not to install the sponsor nothing is ticked by default, and the option that installs it clearly says sponsor. I don't think it can be made any simpler, because to be honest, even if Patchou wants to avoid problems with people installing the sponsor in mistake he still wants you to install it and make money. About the original problem, your sister broke her promise, that's the source of the problem. If you really want your computer clean you shouldn't let ohters who aren't that computer experienced use it, but that is indeed a bit harsh. Also, there are loads of ohter software with adware like this (even if Plus! is made for younger people aswell, at least used by them).

The problem isn't she broke her promise at all. No software should put anyone in the position of installing something they don't want or expect.

Anyone who thinks that everythings fine the way it is, isn't looking closely enough. MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger themselves install toolbars. Plus installs adware. Yes there harmless but sometimes unwanted.

Also people seem to assume that just because they can't install without clicking a button or wating a few seconds means they will read it. Wrong. They will just click at the most likely thing to get it to install.

My girlfriend who's 18 does exactly that, as my 13 year old sister does. My 21 year old brother isn't much better at reading them either. - Age isn't the main issue here. Its computing/IT skills. No matter how many times I tell them to pay attention to what they are installing, there simply too blind to it. They want it installed and don't even think for a second about what else it might install.

I'm not saying I have the solution, in fact I definately know I don't have the solution but somebody somewhere must know a way to stop users doing this (even when they dont know there doing this).

Hope you understand this time,

Tah,

Hah
This post was brought to you by Hah!
(and he takes no responsibility for it :p)

[Image: signatures.jpg]

{Current Web Site}
05-16-2006 11:06 AM
Hah

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Another sponsor thread (Sorry! I know, I know!)
quote:
Originally posted by dylan!
:cheesy:skilled user such as yourself:cheesy:
just don't let her on your computer if you don't want her to do things that you don't want...
as you said your a more skilled user and shes not so you should have made her take that extra 1 minute to boot the family pc because she doesnt know wtf she's doing...

This isn't the issue im raising - I'm a kind person, im never going to stop people using my computer, especially when its usual just to check their email, just to check whos on msn, just to check the latest football news. Your a bit selfish if you don't tbh.

Oh and, trust me, that pc takes more than a minute to boot up. Hmm I wonder why, oh yes, that would be the spyware, the toolbars, the adware and all the other stuff nobody meant to install. In fact even the windows logon screen is now a lamborgini diablo, a yellow one - nobody knows where it came from.

I've cleaned it plenty of times before, and plan on doing next weekend. I'm also amazed how little real time protection actually protects. When i'm testing them, they work great but when I come back there broken - e.g. Microsoft Windows Antispyware - worked brilliant when I tested it, but when I nipped on recently the computer was covered in rubbish.

{Current Web Site}
05-16-2006 11:15 AM
Hah

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Nagini
If they don't read, [i think you don't want to see/accept this] they are lost, messages cannot be read aloud, and if they are installing, they should at least read what it says, I bet you, that if there was a program to format the , with the setup renamed to WLM.22..2.0.2006 Many people who dont read will install it, and erase their whole HDD.

The installer contains simple language, its not using technical words.
There is no excuse for not reading the installer and then blaming plus.

Who said I was blaming plus? I'm not blaming plus. The reality is some users need protecting from there own ignorance (i think thats the right word *-)) for exactly the reason your example portrays.

And yes I am a skilled user, and yes I could just block them from installing or doing anything on the family computer, but its not my place to do it - for a start, its not my computer.

{Current Web Site}
05-16-2006 11:19 AM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
RE: Another sponsor thread (Sorry! I know, I know!)
quote:
Originally posted by Hah
Who said I was blaming plus? I'm not blaming plus. The reality is some users need protecting from there own ignorance (i think thats the right word ) for exactly the reason your example portrays

Basically your saying Plus! should be responsible for that... TBFH installing the sponsor with Messenger Plus! is no more harmful then letting a PC game put an icon on your desktop asking you to try a 30 trial of AOL.... I can't remember which games have that, the Sims maybe?... I used to never read installers.... just blow right through them checking yes for everything.... I got a little smarter, started to read them... that's all it takes... oh wow, you're getting a little adware on your computer, big deal... right?... well... when you're really fed up with it, you'll learn how to prevent/stop it from happening and you won't be ignrorant and just blow through installers to hurray up and get the new program.
05-16-2006 12:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Hah

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by UTI
quote:
Originally posted by Hah
Who said I was blaming plus? I'm not blaming plus. The reality is some users need protecting from there own ignorance (i think thats the right word ) for exactly the reason your example portrays

Basically your saying Plus! should be responsible for that... TBFH installing the sponsor with Messenger Plus! is no more harmful then letting a PC game put an icon on your desktop asking you to try a 30 trial of AOL.... I can't remember which games have that, the Sims maybe?... I used to never read installers.... just blow right through them checking yes for everything.... I got a little smarter, started to read them... that's all it takes... oh wow, you're getting a little adware on your computer, big deal... right?... well... when you're really fed up with it, you'll learn how to prevent/stop it from happening and you won't be ignrorant and just blow through installers to hurray up and get the new program.

OK I give up, il take my argument elsewhere. I still have a point, i know I do, I just dont think your getting it.

Nevermind eh? :D.

And yep, to some people even just adware is a big big no no. - Just because its not to you, doesn't mean its not too everyone. ;)

Tah,

Hah

{Current Web Site}
05-16-2006 12:33 PM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
RE: Another sponsor thread (Sorry! I know, I know!)
quote:
Originally posted by Hah
OK I give up

Me too... 8-).... You might have a point? but it's not backed up with anything that would convince me.
05-16-2006 12:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: