What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Logs

Logs
Author: Message:
bws

O.P. Logs
I was eager to analyze my logs and made a little python script to do so. The problem that I encountered is that the msgplus log format can be quite ambigious depending on the extra data added.

I think it would be cool to have the ability to store logs not in text but in a binary format, additionaly having possibly a viewer. When storing logs in a binary format it is way easier to search/analyze logs in msgplus itself.

Also using another extension for the log like .pbl (plus binary log) and adding a command line for plus that opens it so it will auto translate to text and open notepad.

In any case I would appreciate it.
03-17-2005 04:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Logs
quote:
Originally posted by bws
The problem that I encountered is that the msgplus log format can be quite ambigious depending on the extra data added.
There are some things to be carefull with, but it is quite possible to make a perfect analyzer or viewer. Nothing a good programmer can't do....

quote:
Originally posted by bws
I think it would be cool to have the ability to store logs not in text but in a binary format
That would defeat the whole purpose of the Messenger Plus! log feature. It is in text because that is human readable...

quote:
Originally posted by bws
additionaly having possibly a viewer.
Take a look at "Messenger Plus! Log Viewer v0.21 released!".

quote:
Originally posted by bws
When storing logs in a binary format it is way easier to search/analyze logs in msgplus itself.
not realy, you still would have the same 'problems'. It doesn't matter if it is binary or text, the only difference would be the initial reading of a line (and that's even easier in text). In fact textfiles can be approached as binary files also.

But what you probably mean is storing 'identifiers' within the text to identify lines (is it recieved text, is it send text, is it a status message, etc...). But you don't need a 'binary' file for that, it can easly be done in a pure text file also.

The benefit would be that it would be easier to program a reader. But the big disadvantage would be that it will be hard/confusing for humans to read the files. And the later is why the logs are in text format in the first place, so this will not be changed... (however, storing the logs as html is on the very long to-do list)

But, you could also use the XML format of MSN Messenger itself if you wish though. It has those 'identifiers'...

This post was edited on 03-17-2005 at 08:23 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-17-2005 08:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: