What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » IMAP E-mail Checking?

IMAP E-mail Checking?
Author: Message:
Viper6

O.P. IMAP E-mail Checking?
Hi everyone

I have tried to use the POP3 E-mail checker to check my University email but it doesn't want to work...

I think it is because my university email uses IMAP not POP3....

http://www.its.qut.edu.au/offcampusaccess/dialin/use/olconf.jsp

Is there any way MsgPlus! can check for IMAP emails also?
05-18-2006 05:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: IMAP E-mail Checking?
Hi,

It doesn't appear to me that Messenger Plus! supports IMAP checking.  I personally don't use that feature at all, but it is prominently named "POP3 E-mail", which probably means what it sounds like.

This limitation is easy to understand.  The nature of IMAP protocol is quite different -- it actually allows manipulation and permanent storage of messages among multiple folders on the server, while POP3 is far simpler and only supports downloading to the client.  Determining what is or isn't new over IMAP is a lot more work than it is over POP3.

That said, it is a common practice to have the mail server support both.  You can test whether POP3 is supported by your server by telnetting to port 110.  Using your example, you would open a command prompt window and type:

telnet  mail.qut.edu.au 110

If it connects and you see a response beginning with "+OK", there is a working POP3 server there.  If it times out, then there isn't.

I attempted this to save you the trouble, but couldn't connect on either POP3 (110) or IMAP (143) ports -- which suggests that isn't the right server name, or outside connections are not allowed.  You may get different results being on the campus.
05-18-2006 06:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: