What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Get Windows live messenger to open Gmail, not outlook

Get Windows live messenger to open Gmail, not outlook
Author: Message:
tellio999

O.P. Get Windows live messenger to open Gmail, not outlook
Due to getting my old hotmail account spammed to death i recently created a Gmail account and log in to Windows live messenger using my username@gmail.com and password. I have verified the name with windows. However, when i click on the mail icon it opens outlook, but i want it to go to my gmail account (the same as it used to go to my hotmail account) It also isnt showing if i have any new mail. I also have Plus! installed. This works fine for a friend of mine. If i log in using my old hotmail it still goes to hotmail via IE. I cant find how to correct it anywhere, driving me mad!!

Using Xp btw, if that makes any difference.

Many thanks

Elliot
12-11-2009 08:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Get Windows live messenger to open Gmail, not outlook
You want the Gmail notifier to set Gmail as your default email client.

To see your Gmail new message count in WLM you need to enable POP in your Gmail settings and enter the details as an email account in Plus!'s preferences.
12-11-2009 10:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
tellio999

O.P. RE: Get Windows live messenger to open Gmail, not outlook
Thanks, i will give that a go with the notifier, but specifically want it working with WLM.
I can find where to enter the pop setting in gmail setting and Plus! preference, but what are the details i actually need to enter to get the two working together? Will thsi actually resolve the issue of WLM opening Outlook instead of my Gmail account, or will it just show my new message count?

Many thanks again.

Elliot
12-12-2009 03:19 AM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Get Windows live messenger to open Gmail, not outlook
Don't worry about the "notifier" bit. The point of installing it is that it also gives a means of setting Gmail as your "default" email program, currently set to Outlook. You can turn the actual notifications off if you want.

The details you need to give Plus! are given in Gmail's Standard Instructions here.
12-12-2009 02:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
tellio999

O.P. RE: Get Windows live messenger to open Gmail, not outlook
Thanks fluffy. installed notifier. sadly also didnt work. put the settings in Plus! and did a test and it said that it all worked ok, but the mail button still opened Outlook.

Then went to control panel>internet options>programmes etc and noticed that outlook was set as the email programme. changed that to WL Mail, which worked once, but after the first time attempts to open WL Mail and gives a little "failed" ping.

back to pulling my hair out. more than happy for anyone with the know how to remote access. cant think of what else to try
12-12-2009 07:14 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: