What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » did i read this right?

did i read this right?
Author: Message:
ONX

O.P. did i read this right?
http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/june-2003/3.php

... lop.com
huge spyware site, also being built into the program of msgplus. with or without spyware?
im asking because it links to this in the perfect process program, under this process. i decided to leave it be, but why would patchou put something to be installed UNwillingly, and without permission. i dont believe this, but it is possible. id like an answer, hopefully from patchou himself.
12-05-2005 12:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: did i read this right?
There IS a sponsor program from lop.com packaged with Plus, but it is completely optional. During the installation, one of the agreement screens asks if you want to install the optional sponsor, just make sure to decline if you don't wish to install it.
12-05-2005 01:05 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
the ONLY way that it cant be installed is if you CHOOSE to install the sponsor. this has been answered numerous times. also it's not SPYware, it is ADware, which is completely different
12-05-2005 01:06 AM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ONX
huge spyware site, also being built into the program of msgplus. with or without spyware?

The things bundled with MsgPlus! are *adware*... there's a big difference between that and spyware.

The adware helps Patchou make money so that his program can be free since this takes up so much of his time.
12-05-2005 12:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ONX

O.P. RE: did i read this right?
either way, i find adware really can fuck over a computer. really badly. it happens at school wehre there is no detection or anything, and there is nothing stopping it. and i have a computer that had to be formatted cause of adware. it actually gave me over 50 popups at once. yeah. it was really annoying, on only like, 128 megs o ram. i still cant use that pc. but is there no other way for him to make money off teh program, short of making us pay?
12-08-2005 07:23 PM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
No there isn't really any other ways that he can, he sells things, advertises on his site... and has an OPTIONAL adware bundled with his program.
12-08-2005 11:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
all you have to do is pay attention during the install, and select NO to the EULA for the sponsor program, any noob with eyes can figure it out. problem is people just click agree, yes, next in an installation, because they think they are sooooo 1337 that they dont have to read anything because they know what its going to say already. read what you are agreeing to, simple as that

This post was edited on 12-09-2005 at 12:05 AM by lordy.
12-09-2005 12:05 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: