What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » New Feature suggestion

New Feature suggestion
Author: Message:
gfelice

O.P. New Feature suggestion
It could be usefull to change our username seen by other persons depending on the PC on wich we are working.
Example:
if I'm connected with my MSN account from home, I would like that other persons see my name like "Gfelice at home".
When I login from my office, I  would like that other persons see my name like "Gfelice at work".
Probably the only thing needed is a file where to store the desidered Username to display from the PC. If none has been indicated, the default one is used.
Is it possible to have thie feature in one of next upgrade?
Thanks
Best regards
Gfelice
11-25-2005 11:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
RE: New Feature suggestion
like the idea - but i dont thnk it'l work as you would need plus at home/work etc.. and you would need to store the details of each location on the PC in plus! - all you would have to do is change you name when you get to work/home etc... it only takes 2 secinds to do {you could save them in a word doc. and copy and paste!:P} and it would only be filling PLUS! with un-neccassarty stuffs.
"You don't sleep, you defragment!"
11-25-2005 11:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
like the idea - but i dont thnk it'l work as you would need plus at home/work etc.. and you would need to store the details of each location on the PC in plus! - all you would have to do is change you name when you get to work/home etc... it only takes 2 secinds to do {you could save them in a word doc. and copy and paste!} and it would only be filling PLUS! with un-neccassarty stuffs.

Might need that... or you could have something like what MSN has where you can set your status before you sign in... Say you're at home you can go in the dropbox and select "sign in at...." then there could be home, work, friends... etc. Maybe you could configure it to add some or change it.
11-25-2005 01:05 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
like the idea - but i dont thnk it'l work as you would need plus at home/work etc.. and you would need to store the details of each location on the PC in plus! - all you would have to do is change you name when you get to work/home etc... it only takes 2 secinds to do {you could save them in a word doc. and copy and paste!} and it would only be filling PLUS! with un-neccassarty stuffs.

Might need that... or you could have something like what MSN has where you can set your status before you sign in... Say you're at home you can go in the dropbox and select "sign in at...." then there could be home, work, friends... etc. Maybe you could configure it to add some or change it.
it would be best if it was a feature in msn not plus! thgouh so you dont need to fill friends or works PC's with plus! when you dont need or wont use the features.
"You don't sleep, you defragment!"
11-25-2005 01:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
I don't think you'd have to have your friends get plus!... I think you could just have something change the toast to what you set.... But of course I don't know if this can be done or not... sounds possible since you can already change toasts with some plugins.
11-25-2005 01:19 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by gfelice
It could be usefull to change our username seen by other persons depending on the PC on wich we are working.
Example:
if I'm connected with my MSN account from home, I would like that other persons see my name like "Gfelice at home".
When I login from my office, I  would like that other persons see my name like "Gfelice at work".

Probably the only thing needed is a file where to store the desidered Username to display from the PC. If none has been indicated, the default one is used.

Is it possible to have this feature in one of next upgrade?
As said by DJKAL, this is best to be added in MSN Messenger itself. Not only because then you don't need to install Plus! on every PC you'd use, but if it was added in MSN Messenger itself, changes are you then can set the name prior to signing in. Thus you could make the suggestion to Microsoft if you want: http://messenger.msn.com/help/contactus.aspx

All other solutions would require an addon to be installed on every PC you'd use and you need to sign in first and only then set your nick name.

I suspect this would not be a big problem for you, but it does mean that in order to add it to Messenger Plus!, Messenger Plus! (or a plugin) needs to do more than simply storing the desired nickname. eg: it needs to detect when you sign in (only for the first time).

In order to simulate the change of your nickname before singing in, you need to sign in as "Appear Offline". If you do that, you can change the nick and your contacts will not see this nickchange until you actually change your status to something else.

Now, if you don't want to always go to the MSN Messenger preferences and copy/paste your desired nickname you can use the Quick Texts of Messenger Plus! to do it for you. So make a Quick Text, at work, like this (Plus! > Preferences > Message Helpers > Quick Texts):
  Quick Text Message: /nick this is my desired name at work
  Quick Text Alias: /atwork
Whenever you have signed in, you can use this quick text command /atwork which will automatically set your nickname.

(note: a plugin can do roughly the same, but it must directly use the Messenger API instead. If made properly, it would be full automatic though.)

----------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
I don't think you'd have to have your friends get plus!... I think you could just have something change the toast to what you set.... But of course I don't know if this can be done or not... sounds possible since you can already change toasts with some plugins.
DJKAL meant with "your friends pc's" the pc's used by gfelice to sign in if he is at a friend's house, not the pc's of his contacts.

Also, toasts have got nothing to do with this.

This post was edited on 11-25-2005 at 02:21 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-25-2005 02:13 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: