What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » msgloader1.dll

msgloader1.dll
Author: Message:
Finker

O.P. msgloader1.dll
msgloader1.dll what is it and why does it trigger my firewall telling me every other program on my computer is wanting to use it as i open them. didnt happen in the last version only 3.61.145

This post was edited on 10-13-2005 at 01:49 AM by Finker.
10-13-2005 01:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: msgloader1.dll
There is no msgloader.dll (or msgloader1.dll) in Messenger Plus!....

Don't you mean MsgPlusLoader.dll (or MsgPlusLoader1.dll)?

In that case MsgPlusLoader.dll is used since Plus! 3.50.124 (16/03/2005)...

See changelog for more details...

quote:
Originally posted by Plus! 3.50.124
A new DLL has been added to the software, called MsgPlusLoader.dll. This DLL is now the one that will be loaded by Windows for the global hooking operations. This modification should lower considerably the impact of Messenger Plus! on older systems as this light-weight DLL doesn't allocate more than a few bytes of memory in any situation. It may also reassure some of the people who wonder why Messenger Plus! gets loaded by Windows in several other processes (this DLL contains almost no code so there can't be any risk involved).

The reason why it pops up only now is maybe because:
- You selected "alternative mode" as the way to attach Plus! to MSN Messenger
- Previously msgplusloader.dll was allowed in your firewall and you wouldn't had the warning. Now that msgplusloader1.dll has been created, the warning pops up again since the firewall can't find an ignore entry for that.

Anyways, it is harmless... and it certainly doesn't connect to the net...

----

This DLL is the reason why Messenger Plus! can hook into Messenger. Each time a process is started, this DLL checks to see if it is MSN Messenger that is started. If it is the DLL will start and hook Plus! into it. If the process isn't msn messenger, this DLL does absolutely nothing.

This is a very common and perfectly normal and safe way to check for certain processes.

-----

The DLL contains nothing more than the code to check the process if it is msn messenger and the code to launch Plus! itself, nothing more. The reason why Patchou did this is that in this way memory usage is only absolutely minimum, only a few bytes (because otherwise the whole Plus! would constantly be in memory and loaded).

-----

The reason why it is called msgplusloader1.dll and not msgplusloader.dll, is because at the time of installing Plus!, msgplusloader.dll was in use and couldn't be overwritten when you installed the new version.
Thus Plus! created msgplusloader1.dll instead. This also means you can now safely delete msgplusloader.dll if you like, since Plus! will use msgplusloader1.dll in your situation. Next time you install Plus!, it will again attempt to install msgplusloader.dll, in that case it will succeed (as it is not in use anymore because it uses msgplusloader1.dll atm)....
The same thing can/will happen with MsgPlusH.dll btw.

-----

btw, This has already been asked before though, so see my previous post (and a reply from Patchou) about this: "CookieRevised's reply to: Process Monitor in MsgPlusLoader.dll (and difference with MsgPlus.exe/MsgPlusH.dll)".

-----

PS: May I ask what firewall is telling you this? Because, tbh, it is not the function of a firewall to warn you about such stuff. That's more the function of an anti-virus or other security related program or something; a firewall is meant to only detect and/or block incomming and/or outgoing connections. And even then, the detection methods of that firewall (or whatever) are wrong in saying that this DLL connects to the net.

This post was edited on 10-13-2005 at 02:23 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-13-2005 02:02 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And even then, the detection methods of that firewall (or whatever) are wrong in saying that this DLL connects to the net.
Unless the file is a backdoor trojan, in that case it's correct in identifying it. A good AV program will confirm or deny this.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
10-13-2005 11:33 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: msgloader1.dll
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
And even then, the detection methods of that firewall (or whatever) are wrong in saying that this DLL connects to the net.
Unless the file is a backdoor trojan, in that case it's correct in identifying it. A good AV program will confirm or deny this.

not "unless"... Because a good Anti-virus (and not a firewall program as that shouldn't be its function; let AV's detect such stuff; each program type his own dedicated functions is far better than a tool which claims to do all but almost always only does half the job) will detect real backdoor trojans, but will not give false alarms for something which hasn't got anything to do with connecting to the net, opening ports, doing malicious stuff, etc...

In short: the detection methods of that firewall program are wrong, since it gives false alerts.

To give almost a rediculus comparisson: I can write a simple program which give alerts for everything you start, and thus also a real trojan. Does that mean my so called "detection methods" are good and I should sell this as a firewall program which also detects virusses?

This post was edited on 10-14-2005 at 12:10 AM by CookieRevised.
10-13-2005 09:57 PM
Impheatus

40 / Male / –
LOL, maybe you should! There's always people that would be glad to buy it. ;)
10-13-2005 10:53 PM
Finker

O.P. RE: msgloader1.dll
yes its called MsgPlusLoader1.dll my mistake
i knew it was in the older version and it was MsgPlusLoader.dll after i updated i had one of each but i deleted MsgPlusLoader1.dll and plus wouldnt load so i then swapped MsgPlusLoader1.dll back in and deleted MsgPlusLoader.dll and all was fine just wondering why every program i open says its wanting to use it and should i make it a shared dll if i say no or block it then both plus and the program im opening stop working thats what never happened in my older version

sorry about asking the same question as someone else i done a search for
MsgPlusLoader1.dll and couldnt find anythign so asked :)

This post was edited on 10-15-2005 at 05:47 AM by Finker.
10-15-2005 05:42 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Can you try this:

1) Uninstall Messenger Plus! (but keep your plugins and preferences though)
2) Make sure there are no files left in your Messenger Plus! directory (by default this would be "c:\program files\messengerplus! 3")
3) Reistall Messenger Plus!

Now there shouldn't be any MsgPlusLoader1.dll, but only a MsgPlusLoader.dll. Run Plus!, start up your program, do whatever you do and see if that warning pops up again.

----

also, you forgot to answer:
quote:
PS: May I ask what firewall (or whatever for that matter) is telling you this; is giving you that warning?

;)

This post was edited on 10-15-2005 at 01:02 PM by CookieRevised.
10-15-2005 01:02 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Quick note to dsmiss every doubt: MsgPlusLoader.dll does NOT connect to the web under any circumstances, it just keeped loaded in every process in case a Messenger window would be created there (and then, it loads MsgPlusH.dll).
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-15-2005 11:33 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
not "unless"... Because a good Anti-virus (and not a firewall program as that shouldn't be its function; let AV's detect such stuff; each program type his own dedicated functions is far better than a tool which claims to do all but almost always only does half the job) will detect real backdoor trojans, but will not give false alarms for something which hasn't got anything to do with connecting to the net, opening ports, doing malicious stuff, etc...

In short: the detection methods of that firewall program are wrong, since it gives false alerts.

To give almost a rediculus comparisson: I can write a simple program which give alerts for everything you start, and thus also a real trojan. Does that mean my so called "detection methods" are good and I should sell this as a firewall program which also detects virusses?
I think I wasn't 100% clear before. Ah well, it's all sorted now.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
10-19-2005 01:48 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: