What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Setup dosen't find MsnMsgs.msi

Setup dosen't find MsnMsgs.msi
Author: Message:
Tesla7zap

O.P. Setup dosen't find MsnMsgs.msi
OK I posted this in here because this isn't really a MSN Plus! bug/issue... If it's in the wrong place, just move it some where. OK so, I've got MSN 6.2 installed on my computer (it says), but MSN Messenger has the MSN interface. I've been having this problem(Look here) so I thought it might work if I removed MSN Messenger completely from my computer, I tried to uninstall it and all I get is:

"The function that you try to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK if you want to try again, or assign a searchpath to a folder that includes the installationpackage MsnMsgs.msi in the box below".

It's translated from swedish... Anyway, I've looked around on my computer and I can't find MsnMsgs.msi anywhere on it. I can't reinstall MSN Messenger or MSN Plus! (Which dosen't work) or do anything at all with it except from using it. Because if I do every name in my contact list disappears and I can't interact with anybody, look in the thread I linked above for more detailed information.

I hate this.
05-06-2005 11:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Ahmad

@hmad

40 / Male / –
RE: Setup dosen't find MsnMsgs.msi
Download the installation file from the messenger/microsoft website and run it.

MSN Messenger 7 --> http://messenger.msn.com/
MSN Messenger 6 --> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...b10&displaylang=en

If you run version 7, it will simply install over it. If you run version 6, it will either ask you to Repair or Uninstall the installation (which means it's the same version as the one already installed), or it will install over the older version of 6.

Hope that helps (Y)

This post was edited on 05-06-2005 at 12:02 PM by Ahmad.
05-06-2005 12:00 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
and the MsnMsgs.msi package should normally be located here:
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\MSN Messenger x.x.xxxx\

Where %ALLUSERSPROFILE% is the path to the special account "All Users" and x.x.xxxx the version number of MSN Messenger. Note that this path and file can be hidden, so unset the option to "hide system files" in Windows Explorer.

eg: for WinXP and 6.2.0205:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MSN Messenger 6.2.0205\MsnMsgs.msi
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-06-2005 12:38 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Tesla7zap

O.P. RE: Setup dosen't find MsnMsgs.msi
I tried to install MSN 6.2 over the version I already had installed but it says I have a newer version of MSN Messenger I try to install so that dosen't work... And I have to uninstall the current MSN Messenger to be able to install this one but that dosen't work either.

The only file in the Application Data folder is a configuration settings file called "au". It says:

"[CXXProgramXMSNXMSNCoreFiles]
GUID={AECE3EF6-F6F5-01C2-0000-0000FF73C39E}"

This post was edited on 05-06-2005 at 01:22 PM by Tesla7zap.
05-06-2005 01:20 PM
Ahmad

@hmad

40 / Male / –
Download and install MSN Messenger 7, then uninstall it. After that install version 6.
05-06-2005 01:32 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Tesla7zap

No, that won't work. I tried it, it dosen't affect the other installation so if I install MSN 6.2 I have two MSN Messenger installed...
05-06-2005 01:51 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Tesla7zap
The only file in the Application Data folder is a configuration settings file called "au". It says:
The application data folder contains many many files and directories. But as said, they all can be hidden. So, make sure you've enabled "Show hidden files and folders" and disabled "Hide protected system files". To do so, go to "My Computer" > "Tools" > "Folder Options" > "View" tab.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-06-2005 02:09 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Tesla7zap

They weren't hidden..
05-07-2005 01:15 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend