What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » IM User ID and Password keep disappearing

IM User ID and Password keep disappearing
Author: Message:
p23185

O.P. IM User ID and Password keep disappearing
Running Win XP (all updates) and Win Live IM.  The past three weeks everytime the PC is booted up the Win Live IM login ID and password have disappeared and have to be re-entered manually.  On the front panel, the

"Remember Me"
"Remember my passwod"
"Sign me in automatically"  are all checked on the front screen.  Of course the sign me auto doesn't work because there are no users ifentified.

This is a non-shared PC used by only the current user.  Can some other program be eraseing this data?  I have no clue where it is stored.
06-26-2010 06:08 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: IM User ID and Password keep disappearing
Do you use CCleaner (or another registry cleaner) at all?
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5235 days, 4 hours, 27 minutes, 36 seconds ago
06-27-2010 12:54 AM
p23185

O.P. RE: RE: IM User ID and Password keep disappearing
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
I have used Auslogic Reg Cleaner on that PC, but not since this IM problem has developed.  In fact I always run a report and cannot find the last report from the machine so it has to be long ago.  It is my daughter's machine and she does not know what a reg cleaner is.  BUT I am wondering if some other program she has on her machine is wiping it out??
06-27-2010 03:05 AM
p23185

O.P. RE: IM User ID and Password keep disappearing
Further research shows the following.  There are multiple PC Win XP logins.  The Win Live IM keeps the user ID and passwords properly when using the other PC login.

On the Tammy PC login (the problem one), the Win Live IM will not save ANY user ID or user password, even though the IM login boxes have been checked.

I have uninstalled Win Live and Reinstalled with the same problem not being corrected.
07-03-2010 09:05 PM
Kafman

36 / Male / Flag
Have you installed the Yahoo! toolbar? Apparently it does some damage to the user profile's registry. However, TReKiE did a tool (Make Messenger Remember) that fixes this issue, read the entire entry: http://messengergeek.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E37...81BBDA1!2883.entry

Hope this helps.
[Image: sig.png]
07-03-2010 10:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by p23185
The Win Live IM keeps the user ID and passwords properly when using the other PC login.
That tells me it's not a problem with the Messenger program files (used by all Windows account) but instead local AppData files or user registry items. I'm not sure where exactly the saved logins are stored (you'd have to ask Cookie) but I'd guess the registry.

The first option I'd suggest would be to exist Messenger, then use step #5 from this guide on removing Messenger to remove the registry settings. Restarting WLM should then create new registry items and you should be able to save logins.

The next option would be to try using Messenger Plus! Live's build in Repair Messenger feature in the Programs uninstall list in Control Panel.

If still no luck, try ZapMessenger to remove WLM completely.

In future I wouldn't recommend using unsafe registry cleaners, they do more damage than good.

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
CCleaner is completely safe from my experience, including with Windows Live Messenger. I definitely wouldn't categorise it with the many unsafe cleaners. (Y)

This post was edited on 07-03-2010 at 11:19 PM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
07-03-2010 11:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
p23185

O.P. Wink  RE: IM User ID and Password keep disappearing
Kafman and Chris4 -

Thanks for the good info.  I have downloaded the tools and printed out the post.  I will not get out to my daughters house until next weekend - I will let you know if we can repair one way or another with these tips.

Again thanks.  :)
07-04-2010 03:46 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: