What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Vista laptop problem.

Vista laptop problem.
Author: Message:
Dillan.

30 / Female / Flag
O.P. Vista laptop problem.
I've got a Dell Vostro 1000, the operating system is Vista, and i've had it for about 6 months. A few days ago I was installing some of the new updates, and it installed them all, but then I had to go. The next time I turned the laptop on, it was configuring them.. it got up to stage 2 out of the 3, and was on 8%, but yet again, I had to leave, so I turned the laptop off. When I returned, and tried to turn the computer on, I had that black screen, with the safe mode, same mode with networking, safe mode with something else, last good configuration, and like, the normal one. I selected the normal one, and it started to load. A few minutes of waiting, and I get a black screen with white text saying;

"!!0XC0000034!! 257/66454 (_0000000000000000.CDF-MS", and that message was constantly flashing. I turned the computer off, and turned it back on again, but I got an error code for the USB ports, something about a bug code, but I forget what it said because I didn't make note of it seeing as it only came up the once. I use an optical plug-in mouse, and a USB light which I use in order to see the keyboard.

I tried putting the laptop into safe mode, and it loaded a few files, but stopped at a certain one each time; crcdisk.sys. Basically, I can't get onto the user log on screen. Does anyone know how I could fix this problem? I don't know how to format it, mainly because I can't get onto what I need to, in order to format the hard drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
09-27-2008 07:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Vista laptop problem.
You can format your laptop by putting your windows cd into it (or perhaps a recovery cd that may have come with it to restore it to factory settings)

then enter the bios (during the pre start-up routing there will be an "F" button to press to get into 'bios' or 'setup', sometimes F2) and make sure that it is set to "Boot from CD" and then when it restarts you can press a button to make it boot from the cd and this will launch the facilities on the cd to format your laptop and reinstall windows
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5223 days, 14 hours, 7 minutes, 49 seconds ago
09-27-2008 10:53 AM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
You can format your laptop by putting your windows cd into it (or perhaps a recovery cd that may have come with it to restore it to factory settings)

then enter the bios (during the pre start-up routing there will be an "F" button to press to get into 'bios' or 'setup', sometimes F2) and make sure that it is set to "Boot from CD" and then when it restarts you can press a button to make it boot from the cd and this will launch the facilities on the cd to format your laptop and reinstall windows

ok here's my 2 cents, a format probably isn't needed, a windows repair should fix it with out the loss of any data,
you should never turn a computer off while it's installing something especially an operating system update

also the bios access will probably be f2 or delete and the one time boot menu on a dell should be f12

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

09-27-2008 01:04 PM
Dillan.

30 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Vista laptop problem.
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

I've tried putting the windows/recovery disk into it, and entered the bios, and set it to boot from the disk but I've had no luck.
When I tried it, it didn't launch the facilities on the disk so I could format it at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
ok here's my 2 cents, a format probably isn't needed, a windows repair should fix it with out the loss of any data,
you should never turn a computer off while it's installing something especially an operating system update

also the bios access will probably be f2 or delete and the one time boot menu on a dell should be f12
Hm, thanks. I'll give it a try.

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod

No need to make the font size that big, y'know, I can read, and I know I shouldn't have turned it off, but it was pretty urgent on why I had to go, otherwise I wouldn't have turned it off...
09-27-2008 03:39 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by x-Le-Amzyy-x
but it was pretty urgent on why I had to go, otherwise I wouldn't have turned it off...

it's a laptop! why not just close the lid?
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
09-27-2008 03:46 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Vista laptop problem.
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by x-Le-Amzyy-x
but it was pretty urgent on why I had to go, otherwise I wouldn't have turned it off...

it's a laptop! why not just close the lid?

Or even just leave it completely (as closing the lid sometimes turns off by default)......evidently it's done more damage by turning it off than it would have done leaving it running for however long.

I rarely turned my laptop off in 3 years at university and it was fine
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5223 days, 14 hours, 7 minutes, 49 seconds ago
09-27-2008 03:50 PM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dillan.

No need to make the font size that big, y'know, I can read, and I know I shouldn't have turned it off, but it was pretty urgent on why I had to go, otherwise I wouldn't have turned it off...
the font is normal size check your glasses

did you try using the one time boot menu?

This post was edited on 09-27-2008 at 11:23 PM by Jarrod.

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

09-27-2008 11:21 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: