What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » ipod / itunes libary help

ipod / itunes libary help
Author: Message:
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. ipod / itunes libary help
the idea was that i'd put some music off my Cd's onto the comp and then onto the ipod then delete the music, put some more on put onto the ipod and repeat till i got my whole collection on, but i hit a problem. When i try puttin the second lot up, it tells me i have to repalce my libary and that'll make me lose the the firt lot of music. will i have to put the entire thing on my Pc and do it one go (and keep it on so in future when i get Cd's i can put it striaght on the ipod) or is tha a way round dis?

PS. i'm using itunes for windows XP and a 20gig iPod if it helps at all
12-29-2004 01:45 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: ipod / itunes libary help
What you have to do is enable the Manual Update feature in iTunes. If you right click on your iPod in the source list when it is connected and choose iPod options then you can select Manually manage songs and playlists. Click ok on the next two boxes.

Now to update the songs you double click on your iPod in the source list window, then from the Library window drag and drop the songs to the iPod window and they will update. When it is complete you will have to right click the iPod in the source list and select Eject or use Safely Remote Hardware (if you use this make sure iTunes is closed)

Now when you go do to this your current library is going to be synched to your iPod because you have it set to an Automatic update.

Once you are done with the songs you can delete them from iTunes and delete them from the PC as well but becareful because if you have to restore your iPod then you have to put all your music back on.

Matty
12-29-2004 09:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: ipod / itunes libary help
matty, ur a god send :D

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
Now when you go do to this your current library is going to be synched to your iPod because you have it set to an Automatic update.

does this mean when i delete the libary on my C and replace it with w/e it'll add it automatically when i connect the ipod or wil i have to do what i've just done?
12-29-2004 04:08 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
What I meant by the last part is that since you have iTunes set to an Automatic update, when you connect it to the computer its going to delete the music on your iPod and replace it with the current iTunes library, but you will be able to change it to the manual update while it is synching the new library.

Once you have the manual update you can freely delete the music once it is on your iPod and it wont be deleted from the iPod.

Just post back here if you have anymore questions.

Matty
12-29-2004 06:16 PM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
i get it (Y) :D

one more Q. i cant drag, delete, etc. all my songs at once because i cant draw a box and select them all with my mouse, only one at a time. how do i do them all at once, or a selection i choose?

This post was edited on 12-30-2004 at 01:27 PM by MC Inferno.
12-30-2004 01:25 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
i get it (Y) :D

one more Q. i cant drag, delete, etc. all my songs at once because i cant draw a box and select them all with my mouse, only one at a time. how do i do them all at once, or a selection i choose?

Blah sorry for not seeing this earlier, but you can select a song, then hold the shift key on your keyboard and click another song and it will highlight all the ones inbetween. Or you can hold down ctrl and select individual songs you want to delete. Or press CTRL+A then press the delete key on your keyboard to delete them all.
01-14-2005 02:57 AM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
thanx
01-16-2005 02:35 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode