What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Spyware/Adware

Spyware/Adware
Author: Message:
Browynnath

O.P. Huh?  Spyware/Adware
I downloaded the new Antispyware from Microsoft after a nasty virus hit me (came back after a re-imaging -- all gone now).  Anyways, I went to download Plus again, and as it was downloading, the Microsoft Antispyware said that Plus was a threat.  Point being -- why is it concidered spyware when it is stated that there is none? 

Another question is why are there so many registry keys associated with this?

Thank you.
02-11-2005 03:34 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
RE: Spyware/Adware
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=37...d=370905#pid370905
Registered 7669 days, 10 hours, 55 minutes, 41 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

02-11-2005 03:39 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
Msgplus is harmless, it comes with a sponsor, but It's optional, and doesnt harm your computer, just changes start page and stuff liek that with an ugly search bar...
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
02-11-2005 03:41 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
As any software, Messenger Plus! uses registry keys to store your preferences. The Microsoft antispyware reports all the values in all the keys making a huge number out of nothing. Don't worry about Messenger Plus!, if you were a happy user before, you'll probably continue to be a happy user now :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
02-11-2005 04:04 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Browynnath

O.P. RE: Spyware/Adware
I figured.  I was a happy customer, and will still be...just a tad paranoid after the nasty virus s**t I went through a few weeks ago.  Thanks!  :)
Before I space it, I want to thank you for the fun creation you made.  I have at least 10 other people that have downloaded it because they liked mine!

:)
02-11-2005 04:21 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
aberry

– / Female / –
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
As any software, Messenger Plus! uses registry keys to store your preferences. The Microsoft antispyware reports all the values in all the keys making a huge number out of nothing. Don't worry about Messenger Plus!, if you were a happy user before, you'll probably continue to be a happy user now :).
When this download 1st became available awhile back, me and a friend downloaded it and it was full of spyware and trojans. Had a nifty browser highjacker too.  It was a real rip to get rid of.  My friend also got the same with her download.  I have not used it since.
02-12-2005 04:49 AM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by aberry
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
When this download 1st became available awhile back, me and a friend downloaded it and it was full of spyware and trojans. Had a nifty browser highjacker too.  It was a real rip to get rid of.  My friend also got the same with her download.  I have not used it since.
It seems that you and your friends installed the optional sponsor program.
Read How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
02-12-2005 05:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
aberry

– / Female / –
It was a long time ago, it has been gone for some time now.  I figured out on my own how to get rid of everything.  I really enjoyed the previous release of the plus that didn`t have the extra crap in it.  Yes I know it was my choice (I didn`t use my head and eyeball all the print as I should have) will know next time ofcourse.
02-12-2005 06:17 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: