What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » New Functions

New Functions
Author: Message:
ChristophM

O.P. New Functions
These are some ideas of mine that seem useful to me...

1. Birthday remainder

Idea: Fill in your birthday while installing Plus!, when other people use plus, it automatically exchanges the information and u will be notified when it's someones birthday or when someone's is coming. (I have a bad memory, so reminding such things is an absolute disaster for me...)

2. A MSN Messenger DOWNTIME button/notifier

As Messenger goes down a lot, these last months, it could be useful that MessengerPlus! includes a notification button.

If a certain amount of users click this button, automatically others users who try to sign in (having MsgPlus) could receive a short notification saying this has no use. (and also when it works again)
This is much more useful than sitting behind your PC for hours or so, trying to restart MSN Messenger all the time.

greetz
04-13-2005 06:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
RE: New Functions
quote:
Originally posted by ChristophM
1. Birthday remainder

Idea: Fill in your birthday while installing Plus!, when other people use plus, it automatically exchanges the information and u will be notified when it's someones birthday or when someone's is coming. (I have a bad memory, so reminding such things is an absolute disaster for me...)
I dont think that will be added, because automatically exchanging personal information is dodgy, even if you can chose not to. I mean what if theres one contact you dont want to see your birthday then patchou would have to program an allow list for it.
See [Suggestion]Contact's birthday for some alternatives for this.

quote:
Originally posted by ChristophM
2. A MSN Messenger DOWNTIME button/notifier

As Messenger goes down a lot, these last months, it could be useful that MessengerPlus! includes a notification button.

If a certain amount of users click this button, automatically others users who try to sign in (having MsgPlus) could receive a short notification saying this has no use. (and also when it works again)
This is much more useful than sitting behind your PC for hours or so, trying to restart MSN Messenger all the time.

IMO, that could be abused, for example loads of people clicking the button when messengers fine. Plus could check http://messenger.msn.com/status.aspx though to see if messenger is experiance downtime, then notify the user.
04-13-2005 06:38 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I like the birthday idea i would like a plugin like that :D, i think the other idea would be useless as we know when we cant sign in :P

Edit: Madmans thread has the answers you need ;)

This post was edited on 04-13-2005 at 06:41 PM by absorbation.
04-13-2005 06:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ChristophM

O.P. RE: New Functions
Well, About the dodgy thing... I find that a little exaggerated.

If I allow a person on my contact list, I think I won't have a problem that he or she can view my birthday.
I don't think that this information can be misused, (a person who has -for his Hotmail address- the secret question: What's your birthday, is just stupid...or does not have any friends who could come up with the idea, hm, what a cheap secret question, let's hack'em). Correct me if I am wrong here.

So an allow-list just for blocking one or two contacts, that seems to be a little absurd. And if you don't want it to be shared, well, you can leave it blank, or choose not to show it to the people in the contact list.

Ofcourse there is the alternative for scheduling a yearly task. But that takes alot of time, and if you have to ask each friend for his birthday, that also takes alot of time, while if you do it yourself during installation, it is veeeeery timesaving.

The second idea: Well, that's why I think there should be a minimum of users that should click the 'Messenger not working' before it sends everyone that message. How many times does messenger state that 'All systems are up and running' while in the meantime, everyone has difficulties signing on.

I also believe you can look at it statistically: Like in a poll, there are always some stupids trying to be funny and checking the wrong answer, just to ruin statistics. But if there are alot of users, there will always be a bigger group of people who won't misuse the poll, or this idea of Downtime-button. Ofcourse in the beginning, a lot of people will misuse the function, but after a while, more and more people will use it properly, I think... (or am I just being too idealistic?)

This is only my way of looking at it ofcourse.

Kindly yours,

Christoph
04-13-2005 11:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
I've suggested that a birthday reminder plugin be made, or addition to the contact info box for birthdays, where you fill in the date manually (also reminders could be set like week in advance etc)
04-14-2005 08:48 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
The MSN Messenger downtime is not a good idea - they have their own status page and it would seem bloated to include this in msgplus. When you can't log in it comes up with a button to check the system status anyways :P.
If you really wanted that feature a plugin could probably parse the status page and return the status, i'm not sure if this is possible before log-in though.

I don't think patchou should add the birthday thing either as then thats just another unnecessary feature thats accessing the internet :P. At the moment the only feature that uses the internet is the Ping command/Custom sounds and the auto-update notification and they only access it when you request it (update notification is only every week :) ).

Both of those would be better off as plugins ;).
Segosa is newb.
04-14-2005 08:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
the only feature that uses the internet is the Ping command/Custom sounds and the auto-update notification
The Ping command works via conversations, so only the Custom Sounds and auto-update use a separate connection.
Oh, and not forgetting the POP3 e-mail checker ;)
[Image: spartaafk.png]
04-14-2005 10:48 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: