What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » No incoming communication

No incoming communication
Author: Message:
thamesuser

O.P. No incoming communication
Hi,
we use Messanger Plus for office communication.  It was all working fine on my laptop until I've had Check Point VPN-1 SecureClient installed on it.  The client is used for VPN connection to our office network when I'm at home.

Now, even when I'm in the office and don't use the VPM I cannot receive any communcation from anyone.  I can sign in and I appear online.  I can see all the contacts and send successfully messages to all, but I can't receive back any communication from anyone.

And the strange thing is that the messages do not bounce back to the sender but is lost somewhere in the ether?

Has anyone got any idea?

Thanks,
Milan
06-02-2005 01:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: No incoming communication
Simple your firewall has blocked msn acting like a server. Open your firewall and allow every option of msn messenger to connect to the internet :P
06-02-2005 01:37 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
thamesuser

O.P. RE: No incoming communication
Absorbation thanks for your reply.

The incoming communication is blocked when I'm on the network in the office where there is no firewall.

06-03-2005 08:41 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
This is MSN Messenger problem I think, nothing to do with Messenger Plus!. (Note that Messenger Plus! is not the messenger client. Messenger Plus! is "simply" an addon for MSN Messenger which adds some extra stuff, you still chat with MSN Messenger...)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-03-2005 10:35 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by thamesuser
the network in the office where there is no firewall.
Glad I'm not on that network. My PC's secured as if it was a military barracks, but still...

As for you rproblem, it'll be some sort of conflict between MSN Messenger and the VPN client, if it started when you installed the VPN stuff. You may want to see if you can get a different VPN client.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
06-03-2005 12:04 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
thamesuser

O.P. RE: No incoming communication
CookieRevised you are quite right it's MSN Messenger and not Messenger Plus. Sorry for the confussion.  Thanks for pointing it out.

raceprouk there is a firewall but what I was trying to say was that I don't go through a firewall in the office.  I assumed there was a conflict between MSN Messenger and VPN client, since the problem started when the VPN client was installed.  Unfortunatelly I can't use a different client.  The most bizzare thing in the whole settup is that even when the client is not running the communication is not possible.  Thanks for your suggestion anyway.
Right I've found the culpprit!  For anyone with the same problem, with Check Point VPN client, right click on the icon in the Windows toolbar and select Tools >> Disable Security Policy.  Then you can Stop the client and you'll be receiving communication again, at least when not using the VPN.

Thank you all for your effort.
06-03-2005 01:11 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by thamesuser
Right I've found the culpprit!  For anyone with the same problem, with Check Point VPN client, right click on the icon in the Windows toolbar and select Tools >> Disable Security Policy.  Then you can Stop the client and you'll be receiving communication again, at least when not using the VPN.

Thank you all for your effort.
Just out of interest, can we have a comparison of port usage for the VPN client and MSNM? And I mean the ones that receive data i.e. server-like ports.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
06-03-2005 03:55 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: