What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Silent installation problem

Silent installation problem
Author: Message:
macrus

O.P. Huh?  Silent installation problem
Hello

I have problem with unattended/silent installation of MessengerPlus by  group policy. I use a script that is run on system startup (before logon) that first checks if msgplus.exe exists in any of typical directories, then runs installation from a network lacation with option /SilentInstallNoSponsor.

Everything is fine until the installation finishes and Messenger window is launched. Notice that it appears _before_ logon screen and installation somehow stalls (it is: Messenger window can be normally accessed but the script stops). Even if I close Messenger window, the script does not continue progress and startup is hanged until GPO script processing timeout comes (10min).
Additional problem is that this appears to be a security issue also - MessengerPlus has features (like task scheduler) that allow access to the system without logging in! I just ran Explorer from it and normal desktop appeared with enough rights to access anywhere ...

I know I could put the installation into user login script but I prefer it to be user-independent...
What is also strange is that some time ago, when I created all this automation mechanism (around version 2.5x I think), it worked...

Is there any other switch or way to prevent Messenger from launching after installation ?

regards
Maciej
06-20-2005 08:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Silent installation problem
quote:
Originally posted by macrus

Is there any other switch or way to prevent Messenger from launching after installation ?

Well tweaking the resgisty which sounds like you know what to do ;)

quote:
o be a security issue also - MessengerPlus has features (like task scheduler) that allow access to the system without logging in!

Patchou makes serucity tight and that's why first users of plus cant get rid of the guide becuase of some secutity issue no matter what (just an example :P

Well find the resgitry key maybe cookie or tocjo (cant speel :S) Will find it for you ;)

Sorry i cant be of to much help :S
06-20-2005 08:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Everything is fine until the installation finishes and Messenger window is launched. Notice that it appears _before_ logon screen and installation somehow stalls (it is: Messenger window can be normally accessed but the script stops).
Not wanting to sound <insert appropriate word here>, but are you sure the script runs without hanging if you take the Plus! install part out of it?
[Image: spartaafk.png]
06-21-2005 08:41 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
macrus

O.P. RE: Silent installation problem
This is not a script problem - there is nothing else in it except msgplus installation - from "script's point of view" the installation is not finished (control is not returned to the script) - so it hangs exactly on the line where the installation is launched
BTW: MessengerPlus installs correctly, even if the script is forcibly terminated by the timeout.

I found out some workaround...instead of calling setup directly I use "start" command so the setup processes paralelly now. However, I had to put to the script a command that waits 60s to give Messenger Plus time to install itself (otherwise the installation fails). I don't like this workaround however I can't find any other way for now...

regards
Maciej
06-21-2005 03:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Thank you for reporting. The problem has been "fixed" in the next version by not starting Messenger automatically at the end of a silent installation (it's supposed to be silent after all :)).
[Image: signature2.gif]
06-30-2005 04:52 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: