What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » unicows.dll, service unavailable and MSN 7.5.0311

unicows.dll, service unavailable and MSN 7.5.0311
Author: Message:
Stuart

O.P. unicows.dll, service unavailable and MSN 7.5.0311
Ok so I recently downloaded MSN Messenger version 7.5.0311 from mess.be
Now considering that my computer is Windows Millenium Edition, I had to download the spefically modified version so it would work on my computer.
So I download it and proceed to install it, everything works as normal.
Than when I try and enter it after the download, I get a message saying;

one of the library files Unicows.dll is missing.
So I search unicows.dll and there is 1, so I copy it into the MSN messenger folder. And msn than opens.
I than proceed to signing in. But wait! I get a message saying;

Signing in to MSN Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable.

And this message came straight up when I clicked sign in.
So I check to see if the server is ok, and to my surprise, it is up and running.
So I go to connection settings, and it says;

You are currently NOT connect to .NET Messenger Service

So I decided to start a connection troubleshooter.
So I start it, and it gives IP a tick, but than it comes to Default Gateway, and it stops. It says my default gateway appears to be offline. So I click Repair, and I try and sign in again. Still the same thing. So I try this a few times, to no avail.
Now the thing is, I also completely disabled my firewall before trying this.
(Than after it didn't work, I put it back on)
I have looked around the internet and many people are experiencing the same problem. So it isn't just my computer.
I was hoping maybe some of you have some clues as to what is going on and will be able to help me out here.
Thankyou.

All I had to do was copy unicows.dll to the msn folder and it worked.
12-16-2005 06:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: unicows.dll, service unavailable and MSN 7.5.0311
Stuart, you have some different problems and stuff, I'll tackle them one by one...

UnicoWS.dll

"UnicoWS.dll" is part of the Unicode Layer for Windows 9x/ME.

--

The basic set of characters used in Windows is called ASCII. But many languages need other characters to be displayed correctly (Hebrew, Japanees, etc...).

MSN Messenger (and other multi-language programs) uses unicode characters and thus calls the unicode-version of many windows functions.

The problem is that Windows 9x, ME, etc do not support these unicode API functions by default (like XP does for example). To be able to use unicode and those unicode-versions of those functions, you need to install the Unicode Layer for Windows on Windows 9x and ME.

To properly install this, download the latest version from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...-80A4-2A7EEAEE17E2
(do not download it from anywhere else)

The package contains the latest version of UnicoWS.dll and this file should be placed in your windows system folder.

However, installing this DLL does not mean you have all the unicode support a program might need. There are still unicode functions which are also not supported by this "unicode Layer". In other words, even installing this unicode layer will not make your Windows totally compatible with all unicode functions.

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
You need not copy it into the messenger dir, but rather run "regsvr32 unicows" which will allow the application to use it.
No, ideally it must be placed in the windows system directory. But above all unicows.dll is a standard windows dll which does not be registered (in fact, you will have an error when you attempt to register it).
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
(you have to do this with all the other related ssl dlls aswell if it still does't work -- "regsvr32 unicows wintrust initpki dssenh rsaenh gpkcsp sccbase slbcsp cryptdlg")
Doesn't have anything todo with the unicode layer, nor with his problem

MSN Messenger 7.5.0311

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart
Ok so I recently downloaded MSN Messenger version 7.5.0311 from mess.be. Now considering that my computer is Windows Millenium Edition, I had to download the spefically modified version so it would work on my computer.
Always download Messenger from the official source: http://messenger.msn.com/ or from other official sources like the Microsoft download center.

MSN Messenger 7.5 requires Windows XP. It is not build to run on Windows Millenium.

The special version you're talking about is nothing more than a patched installer so the installer would also run on other systems than XP. This does not mean that you will be able to run Messenger 7.5 without any problems on other systems than XP! There is a reason why the installer was made for XP only....

The architecture of XP and Windows 9x or Windows ME is quite different and software designed for XP can and will use stuff which isn't available on other systems. The special version you'll find on mess.be does not alter or patch MSN Messenger so it doesn't use those specific XP functions. Problems are waiting to happen if you still attempt to use it on a system which it wasn't designed for.

If you are running on Windows Millenium, you need MSN Messenger 7.0.

Sign in problems

MSN Messenger 7.5.0311 is not the lastest version, and it needs an update (to fix common sign in problems among other things). The latest version is currently 7.5.0322. And is available here (This is a direct public download. Though, it is not yet available on the main messenger site, nor download center).

Also see JohnWeis' post on mess.be.

Conclussion

Forget about Messenger 7.5, and forget about the UnicoWS dll.

Uninstall both and install the latest Messenger version specifically designed for your Windows version (which is currently 7.0.0816), available on http://messenger.msn.com/.

--

;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-17-2005 04:06 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The special version you're talking about is nothing more than a patched installer so the installer would also run on other systems than XP.
More specifically, Windows 2000, which is what XP is the successor of. 2000 and XP share the same kernel and a lot of the core architecture, so programs that work on XP will 99.99% of the time also work on 2000.
As for them working on ME: forget it. ME is too different.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
12-17-2005 12:19 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Doesn't have anything todo with the unicode layer, nor with his problem

Sorry, I was thinking of another DLL >.<
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
12-18-2005 01:01 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
ME is too different.
Windows ME is just an updated version of Windows 98 and Windows 2000 is just like a preversion of Xp 
[Image: siggy20ss.jpg]
12-18-2005 01:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Stuart

O.P. RE: unicows.dll, service unavailable and MSN 7.5.0311
Ok, thanks A LOT for your help CookieRevised.
I did exactly what you said and installed MSN 7.
I will now report this topic for a mod to lock it
12-18-2005 02:27 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: