What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Show both the "private" and "public" nickname

Show both the "private" and "public" nickname
Author: Message:
felixsmile

O.P. Show both the "private" and "public" nickname
Hello everyone!

Please excuse me if this is an issue which has already been addressed, but as I don't know exactly how the English terms are, I don't know what to look for.

In version 3.x of Messenger Plus!, one could give the Nicknames a "personal" name. In the contactlist, it was possible to show that name before the original nickname (i.e. the nickname the person was giving himself).

With Messenger Plus! Live, this feature disappeared because the Messenger already implemented a similar feature.

Is it possible to program a script or something similar to get this feature back? Of course, if you help me a bit, I'll try my best.

Thank you very much in advance, have a nice day,

Felix.
11-12-2006 08:02 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Show both the "private" and "public" nickname
quote:
Originally posted by http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=61211

[...]
[size=2]#4. Where is the rename a contact function?
This function has been removed because Windows Live Messenger has the same functionality. If Microsoft doesn't improve the function, you might see it back in a newer version!

But.. Microsoft's function saves the data on the server, allowing you to sign in where ever you are (as long as you're using WLM) and still having the names.. So yes, it's a task to re-add the names, but it's worth it
[...]

I think this is what you are after.

This post was edited on 11-12-2006 at 08:13 AM by markee.
[Image: markee.png]
11-12-2006 08:10 AM
felixsmile

O.P. RE: Show both the "private" and "public" nickname
Hi markee!

Thank you for your reply.

I don't mind adding the new names, that's what everyone did at the version change, I suppose.

My question was: is it possible to write a script where both the names are showed, i.e. the name the contact has given himself and the name we gave him?

I thought this must be possible, because in the tabbed view, Messenger Plus! shows the name the contact has given himself, so Messenger Plus! can access somehow the "real" name. Combining these two, I thought it might be a nice little feature.

If someone could help me, it would be very nice. If I find anything, I will tell you.

Thank you in advance,

Felix.
11-12-2006 08:16 AM
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Show both the "private" and "public" nickname
I'm sorry I misunderstood (and still not quite sure, but will give it another shot).  Messenger Plus has no way of accessing the names you give people through WLM and so there is no possible way for any script to be able to access this information either.  I'm sorry for that information.

As I quoted in my previous post, Patchou may re-introduce this feature back into Plus if the messenger team doesn't make their system better.  So we might be seeing something later from Patchou, but I wouldn't expect anything too soon as I'm sure Patchou doesn't feel this feature is of great importance.

If anything was possible to be done with the "private" nicknames then I'm sure it would hav been done already, but for now we just have to live with what we've got.
[Image: markee.png]
11-12-2006 08:34 AM
felixsmile

O.P. RE: Show both the "private" and "public" nickname
Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to say. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post.

I thought about something:

Contact::Name gives us the name as published by the contact.

Furthermore, the OnEvent_ChatWndReceiveMessage gives us

quote:
Origin
[string] Name of the user that sent the message, as it appears in the chat window

So, maybe there is a way of comparing the two and showing both in the contact list?

Unfortunately, I couldn't find how one can change the name shown in the contact lists.

I'll live with it until Patchou decides to change it, I think I can cope :)

Thank you very much for your help,

Felix
11-12-2006 08:51 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: