What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Plus 4.5 Doesnt Support Multiple Versions

Plus 4.5 Doesnt Support Multiple Versions
Author: Message:
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. Plus 4.5 Doesnt Support Multiple Versions
according to the messenger plus forums if you uninstall all versions of messenger then say install messenger 8.0 rename its folder to include 8.0 at the end then install WLM 8.1 and do the appropriate rename, then install WLM 8.5 you should be able to test your skins in all versions (of course the instructions dont specify any version numbers im using those numbers as an example)

i did the above i can only run these 1 at a time, 8.0 wont sign in at all, i can sign into 8.1 but messenger plus 4.50 will not work in 8.1, i have no doubt that messenger plus live 4.50 works in 8.1 if 8.1 is the only messenger installed it would appear however that if more than one version of messenger is installed it will only work in the most up to date version.

due to this technical fault i will only be able to write skins for 8.5 and may be able to add 9.0 compatability when 9.0 is officially release for public use, however when 9.0 is released ill no longer be able to support 8.5 as i wont have any way to test if its working in both versions as plus only works in one version and plus is needed to make the skinning work.

This post was edited on 12-11-2007 at 08:05 PM by stuartbennett.
12-11-2007 08:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
RE: Plus 4.5 Doesnt Support Multiple Versions
quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
but messenger plus 4.50 will not work in 8.1
Might be something to do with plus not recognising 8.1 in its new location?
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
12-11-2007 08:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Plus 4.5 Doesnt Support Multiple Versions
quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
according to the messenger plus forums if you uninstall all versions of messenger then say install messenger 8.0 rename its folder to include 8.0 at the end then install WLM 8.1 and do the appropriate rename, then install WLM 8.5 you should be able to test your skins in all versions (of course the instructions dont specify any version numbers im using those numbers as an example)

i did the above i can only run these 1 at a time, 8.0 wont sign in at all, i can sign into 8.1 but messenger plus 4.50 will not work in 8.1, i have no doubt that messenger plus live 4.50 works in 8.1 if 8.1 is the only messenger installed it would appear however that if more than one version of messenger is installed it will only work in the most up to date version.
1) Plus! is only started when its loader is in the program path of Messenger. This means that you need to make sure that msimg32.dll* is included in every Messenger folder!

To make sure it is, you need to re-install Plus! after you've installed your first version of Messenger, but before you rename the folder. After installing Plus! and after renaming the folder you need to manually copy the msimg32.dll to each and every additional Messenger directory you've created.

2) MSN Messenger 8.0 is not supported anymore by Microsoft. This in favor of 8.1. The protocol will not allow you to use 8.0 anymore due to security issues.

3) Messenger Plus! Live is compatible with every version starting from 8.0. So it works perfectly with Windows Live Messenger 8.1.0178 too. Provided you have its loader in the program folder of Messenger of course, as described in point 1.

4) You can run all versions at the same time provided you enable polygamy/multi-messenger in each version. Although I do not recommend it because unexpected things might happen. Remember that you are already doing something not supported by installing more than one version and moving them around manually.

* msimg32.dll is the loader from Plus!. But note that the name of this loader is indeed the same as a system DLL file. That is also exactly the reason why and the method used by Plus! to load itself into Messenger. Do not confuse the two; Copying the system DLL which you can find in your windows directory is not going to work.

This post was edited on 12-11-2007 at 09:35 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-11-2007 09:25 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Plus 4.5 Doesnt Support Multiple Versions
thanks cookie, ill give this a try, can get 8.1 to load plus then ill be able to make my skin 8.1 compatable aswell as 8.5, thanks again cookie i really appreciate it.

EDIT:

i added the version tags into my SkinInfo file to add compatability and in 8.1 my login shows as black, obviously ill need to extract the 8.1 resources and add it compatability at some point.

This post was edited on 12-11-2007 at 10:20 PM by stuartbennett.
12-11-2007 10:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: