What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Can the conversation history be changed and edited?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Can the conversation history be changed and edited?
Author: Message:
adamkkk

O.P. RE: Can the conversation history be changed and edited?
thats my problem - ive never had chat logs enabled

MSN also have no record of the transcripts and therefore the only source of the information that is being relied upon is this other persons copy - which it not seems whether html, xml, or txt files -- can all be edited

So ultimately his transcript cannot be used as evidence!
02-03-2008 03:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Can the conversation history be changed and edited?
It will have a modified date in the file properties... If it's a monthly log and is edited after that month ended for example, it is likely to have been tampered with.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
02-03-2008 03:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
adamkkk

O.P. RE: RE: Can the conversation history be changed and edited?
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
It will have a modified date in the file properties... If it's a monthly log and is edited after that month ended for example, it is likely to have been tampered with.

That is true. However coming back to Windows Live Messengers own History Conversation Log, it stores one file per contact.

Therefore I could have a chat with you on 31/01, go offline and edit parts of the conversation and then speak to you today and the conversation I had with you today will just add at the end of the conversation and the date and file properties will just change to today.

I have already spoken to a techie who said that the file properties date and time can be quite useless. For example I could change the date and clock on my PC to 02/05/2010 and therefore when the changes are made to the file, the modified properties would say thefile was last modified on 02/05/2010 -- when both you and I would know that is not even possible!
02-03-2008 03:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: