What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » contacts vainsh and reverts back to ancient version4

contacts vainsh and reverts back to ancient version4
Author: Message:
gnowave

O.P. contacts vainsh and reverts back to ancient version4
all week i have been having new messenger 2009, wich i was prompted to instal over three times, saying i didnt have it (!!!!) dosnt give me MY contacts, AND keeps reverting back to klunky version 4 !!!!!!!

i am so tired of messenger...
on my last set up, it kept having to be reinstalled, and it kept thinking it already was installed (if any other company did this when meant to be uninstalling........)(mainly due to MS own version of hidden files and spamware as far as i could tell by the files i had to change)

maybe time for going SKYPE?
and as usual with all my problems earlier in the year, i will recieve no useful help from the msn team......

This post was edited on 09-17-2009 at 08:36 PM by gnowave.
09-17-2009 08:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
gnowave

O.P. RE: contacts vainsh and reverts back to ancient version4
its done it AGAIN
tried cleaning out all live stuff/guff, and it gave me new messenger, but with absolutly no contacts, and when i closed and opened, i got stuck with version 4.7.3000

this so sux
09-17-2009 08:53 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

36 / Male / Flag
RE: contacts vainsh and reverts back to ancient version4
Version 4 is Windows Messenger IIRC, not Window Live Messenger. Are you clicking the right shortcut?
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
09-18-2009 05:03 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
gnowave

well, be that asx it may, take this into consideration..
it was (v4) uninstalled (apparently) so if it is there it is there hidden as it is NOT in listbof programmes, and is not in programme files etc.. or add or remoc=ves and so on..
also the only messenger icon/shortcut i use is msn/live messenger,
so woty is happening (if you had read my last posting is..)

i uninsteled the messenmger that was on here wen i got it (4), insteled live's recomended, and when i used it, three times now,  it has noit shown my contacts (saying i have none, tho it contradicts itself wen i try to import any)
then wen i close and re-open (using SAME icon/shortcut) i get this crappy version $!!! now its not me thats "making" this happen, i just want  to get rid of that versio 4 heap of rubbish and get a decent messenger, am losing patience, free or not...

now on the matter of shortcuts, the VERY SAME icon that live messenger installer puts on my start menu, is the very same icon that this version four thing pops up from...

now how do i get a working full version of msn live messenger to work properly and not lose my addresses, and NOT have to put up with this version 4, WHATEVER the hell it is/was/will be.... i didnt want it, dont want it, and dont want to use it..
i just want addresses back and to message in peace

09-18-2009 03:08 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

36 / Male / Flag
Post a screenshot of this 'Version 4'... Either it is a really old version on MSN Messenger (which shouldn't work anymore), or Windows Messenger that, IIRC, can not just be uninstalled as it is part of the operating system and so has to be removed as a componant of Windows, not through Add/Remove Programs as you described.
09-18-2009 11:23 PM
gnowave

its version 4.7.3000
it turns out it seems to be the old msn IRC thingster, and that seems to mean, i am told, to be installed with windows stuff, so what seems to happen is, i instal new msn (about 6 times now!)
it instals seemingly ok,
then when i log in, it has no addresses (even tho if i try to import them, it sez i have them already!!!)...
then wen i log out, next time i go in, using exactly tyhe same shortcut/icon, ) it gives m,e this 4.7.3000...

i even tried installing older msn/lines, (7.5, but it did the same co-ersion, that i got that forced me to instal the newer one.
i got popp-up askinIF i wanted new version, typed in NO< then as i attempted to log in, it just gave me the pop-uop again with same question! so it wouldnt really let me have the choice!
so i havegiven u0 and uninstalled the lot, aint gonna be treated that way.,.. they pretended to give me a choice bnut, it was actually co-ersion.
i think i cant get rid of 4.7.3000 as its hidden, even tho i found advice how to unhide it, it hasnt appeared in add or remove.. so what do i do about that!
i would give screen shot, but i havnt been shown how to do that yet...
incidently, i'm on XP sp2, running IE and firefox.. for all that may be worth
09-20-2009 05:25 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

36 / Male / Flag
[Image: 10080-wxpsp2rc103.JPG]

If it looks like that it is the default Windows Messenger that comes with Windows XP.

Try installing WLM from this link again (I know you have tried already)... Then open the start menu and click 'run'...

In the box that appears, type (including the speech marks!!!):

quote:
"C:\program files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe"

That should start the latest version. Hopefully it will be running ok. Then try it again and see if Windows Messenger opens instead or if it functions properly.

This post was edited on 09-20-2009 at 11:07 PM by Spunky.
09-20-2009 11:06 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: