What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Internet Explorer Bug Help

Internet Explorer Bug Help
Author: Message:
LoochTheMan

= Su-Fi =

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Undecided  Internet Explorer Bug Help
One night i shut down my computer, and the next day something weird was showing in my internet explorer.  I usually type in web adresses without the "www." and it works fine. but now whenever i type it in with out the "www." i get a Microsoft Internet Explorer Alert saying: "Cannot Find '#whatever site i type'. Make sure the Path or Internet address is correct".  It is wierd bc the sight i type in is correct bc it works when i add "www."

Does anybody know how to remove this annoying alert, bc its a habbit of me not typing in "www."

Thnkz:)
[Image: dane_banner_01.gif]

"That Dane Cook Is A Silly Bitch"

08-05-2004 06:03 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
RE: Internet Explorer Bug Help
I think some sites need the "www." to be typed.

Can you tell us what site is that, so we can "test" it?
Registered 7674 days, 3 hours, 3 minutes, 30 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

08-05-2004 06:05 AM
LoochTheMan

= Su-Fi =

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Internet Explorer Bug Help
It is every and any site i type in...i know for sure they work bc they did before.  An example being google.ca

08-05-2004 06:06 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
I doubt it will be IE: it's more likely to be the DNS you connect to.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
08-05-2004 11:19 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
LoochTheMan

= Su-Fi =

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Internet Explorer Bug Help
whats DNS?:S i have cable internet i dont need to connect

08-05-2004 06:16 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
You always need a DNS, however you ISP takes care of that.
DNS servers translate URLs to IPs.

However, alot of site you should me able to, for example google.com should give you the same result as www.google.com.

If it doesn't you could try to ping both domains by doing the following:

- If you are on Windows XP/2000/2000: click Start > Run > enter  "cmd > press OK
- If you are on Windows 95/98/ME: click Start > Run > enter  "command > press OK

Now type "ping google.com, press <ENTER> and see if it responds.

Then type "ping www.google.com, press <ENTER> and see if it responds.

If only google.com responds and not www.google.com then it is probally a DNS issue i think, you could phone your ISP about it if it really bothers you.
If both hosts respond it is more likely a setting in your browser i think, or maybe some mis-configured firewall/adblocker that only allows hosts starting with www?

Just my 2 euro-cents.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-05-2004 08:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by LoochTheMan
One night i shut down my computer, and the next day something weird was showing in my internet explorer.  I usually type in web adresses without the "www." and it works fine. but now whenever i type it in with out the "www." i get a Microsoft Internet Explorer Alert saying: "Cannot Find '#whatever site i type'. Make sure the Path or Internet address is correct".  It is wierd bc the sight i type in is correct bc it works when i add "www."

Does anybody know how to remove this annoying alert, bc its a habbit of me not typing in "www."

Thnkz

First of all, always try to type the FULL url, this includes the "www"-things if they are needed. It is a bad habbit to leave them out...

quote:
Originally posted by LoochTheMan
"Make sure the Path or Internet address is correct".  It is wierd bc the sight i type in is correct bc it works when i add "www."
Obviously when you don't add "www." the url is NOT correct...

If you have an url "www.address.com", then "address.com" will NOT work (appart from some big sites). What browsers do (behind your back) is to check if "address.com" is a valid address. In this case it is not, thus the browser adds "www." in front of it and checks again, and thus finds the correct url... Thus, although it may seem that "address.com" is valid, it is NOT...

"www." is only 1 string that browsers add to check for valid urls. In fact, you can edit the list yourself. And this is proberly what's happend to you. A bad or corrupted url-completion list...

To fix this, you can use a program like Elrise Windows Comstumizer for example, or edit the registry keys yourself: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\UrlTemplate

This post was edited on 08-09-2004 at 12:20 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-09-2004 12:06 PM
mcowher

No, there is something more going on here than just needing to add "www." to the beginning of URL's, because the exact same thing just happened to me in the last 2 days...

I was recently hit with some Spyware, and this problem happened to me after I was hit with the Spyware.  I used Adaware, and Spybot S&D to remove the spyware, but this problem persists...

For example, "google.com" and "www.google.com" are two different IP addresses if you ping them, and both worked before this problem started.

Now I can't just type in google.com in the URL, or I get the same error message as the original poster.

08-22-2004 02:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: