What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » adware

adware
Author: Message:
keef

O.P. adware
ok I'm one of the people who must have been asleep when i installed this and did'nt read the terms and conditions properly like anyone does anyway!

I have uninstalled the software due to it installing unwanted tool bars in explorer and who knows what else.

I uninstalled the software exactly as explained in the eailer post
but this only uninstalls the software not the tool bars.
In the end i had to resort to using a virus program to remove them. This was a few weeks ago, I then turned my pc on this morning and wahey they are back again after two weeks!!

I'm sure this software is very good but there should be a clearer warning about the adware or spyware that can be installed with it as i'm pretty paranoid about that kind of stuff and still managed to miss it.

Anyway i would like to know how i can now remove this adware/spyware from my pc because just un-installing does NOT remove it.

I also dont think that this is going to help the software in any way as most free software only ads toolbars and advertising while the software is installed and does not make it impossible to get rid of afterwards .
thanks
09-13-2004 04:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
RE: adware
quote:
Originally posted by keef
i installed this and did'nt read the terms and conditions properly like anyone does anyway!
If you mean people skip those terms and conditions, yes, most people do so. But please understand that we cannot possible be responsible for people not reading. :)
We show the agreement, but end users don't read properly. But surely not everyone; I for one carefully read what I install :)

quote:
it installing unwanted tool bars in explorer and who knows what else.
Not much else: the license agreement says exactly what, which is a toolbar, some favourites, desktop shortcuts and a homepage changer (if I'm correctly).

quote:
I uninstalled the software exactly as explained in the eailer post but this only uninstalls the software not the tool bars.
This software is being tested by many people, and as far as I know, none of the official testers ever had problems removing the sponsor - and they install and test it thoroughly :)
Chances are you just mistakenly did something incorrect (you might not have closed all browser windows or something). Could you try it again?

quote:
I'm sure this software is very good but there should be a clearer warning about the adware or spyware that can be installed with it as i'm pretty paranoid about that kind of stuff and still managed to miss it.
Especially when you're paranoid, you should have seen the screen during the installation. It clearly says "Sponsor program" in bold, and if you read the options you can choose, it becomes clear that you can also install Plus! without the sponsor.

quote:
i would like to know how i can now remove this adware/spyware from my pc because just un-installing does NOT remove it.
I'd say to reinstall Plus! with the sponsor, then reboot, then immediately go to Control Panel and remove it from there again, following the instructions mentioned in the thread you (luckily) already read: How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor. If that doesn't work, please post again :)

quote:
I also dont think that this is going to help the software in any way as most free software only ads toolbars and advertising while the software is installed and does not make it impossible to get rid of afterwards
We are sorry that you experienced any inconvenience with this, but I hope you can understand that the sponsor program is supposed to be uninstalled when you uninstall Messenger Plus!. If I read your words correctly, this would make it more acceptable for you that a sponsor is included. Personally, if you add the fact that it's completely optional, I think it's nothing to worry about - that is, if you can uninstall it easily of course :)
09-13-2004 05:14 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: adware
You say it yourself: you removed the sponsor using an antivirus program. You can't expect those program todo a real job (I know most of you do, but you really shouldn't). That's why the real sponsor unisntaller is embedded with Messenger Plus!.

As Tochjo suggested, just reinstall Plus! with the sponsor and launch the uninstall again, it will let you uninstall the sponsor properly.

Patchou
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-13-2004 05:20 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: