What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » How to link "My Display Name" to computer being used?

How to link "My Display Name" to computer being used?
Author: Message:
HeXa

O.P. Huh?  How to link "My Display Name" to computer being used?
I use various computers at work and home for MSN Messenger.... and often use the display name as a quick and easy way for people knowing where I am. Problem is that it gets tedious to change my display name each time I log onto a different computer.... does anyone know of a standalone or MSGplus plugin to change my display name upon login?

thanks
04-12-2005 11:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: How to link "My Display Name" to computer being used?
If im getting what you really mean I dončt think there's anything.. ud have to install patches on all computers and then configure them.. but a good idea would be to make display picture with the name of the place youre in.. use each one at a different place,, and whenever u log in back on a computer, it will show by default :)
04-12-2005 11:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Joa
The dodgiest member

117 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by HeXa
I use various computers at work and home for MSN Messenger.... and often use the display name as a quick and easy way for people knowing where I am. Problem is that it gets tedious to change my display name each time I log onto a different computer.... does anyone know of a standalone or MSGplus plugin to change my display name upon login?
nope there is not as far as i know.
but, with plus! you can set different personal status short-cuts.
in plus>preferences> personalized status> status presets you can create your own short cuts to change your "status" and add a personal message to your nickname. this could make things easier for you.

Edit: for instance have something like (Alt + Backspace) for the fast activation shortcut, set the status at which you would like to appear, and create a name tag such as "at work" for instance.

with just two clicks "at work" will appear next to your nickname :cheesy:

This post was edited on 04-13-2005 at 12:11 AM by Joa.
:bow: gif :bow: <3   

spam.

04-13-2005 12:07 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
HeXa

O.P. RE: RE: How to link "My Display Name" to computer being used?
quote:
Originally posted by lp15
If im getting what you really mean I dončt think there's anything.. ud have to install patches on all computers and then configure them.. but a good idea would be to make display picture with the name of the place youre in.. use each one at a different place,, and whenever u log in back on a computer, it will show by default :)

thanks - that was what I was kind of doing up until muggins entered the scene..... I guess when the novelty of them wears off, I might go back to using DPs to show location. :P

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
nope there is not as far as i know.
but, with plus! you can set different personal status short-cuts.
in plus>preferences> personalized status> status presets you can create your own short cuts to change your "status" and add a personal message to your nickname. this could make things easier for you.

Edit: for instance have something like (Alt + Backspace) for the fast activation shortcut, set the status at which you would like to appear, and create a name tag such as "at work" for instance.

with just two clicks "at work" will appear next to your nickname :cheesy:

thanks as well - this was where I originally hoped to find the ability I wanted, but couldn't find an option for "online" status... just the other status icons :(

- HeXa

This post was edited on 04-13-2005 at 04:32 AM by HeXa.
04-13-2005 04:25 AM
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
If you know anything about the registry, you can edit the NameOnSignin string located at  HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\your@email.com\Preferences.

"If not empty, Messenger Plus! will use this value to change your name to a default one every time you sign-in on a specific computer."

You can also download Plus! Tweak to help you edit that value :)
04-13-2005 04:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
HeXa

O.P. RE: RE: How to link "My Display Name" to computer being used?
quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
If you know anything about the registry, you can edit the NameOnSignin string located at  HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\your@email.com\Preferences.

"If not empty, Messenger Plus! will use this value to change your name to a default one every time you sign-in on a specific computer."

You can also download Plus! Tweak to help you edit that value :)

I know my way around regedit :)

sounds like EXACTLY what I am after.... I have admin access on all the PCs so registry changes is no problemo.

Thanks to everyone who offered ideas... will post back soon with results :D

- HeXa
04-13-2005 04:35 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: