What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » spyware detected by "Microsoft Anti-Spyware"

spyware detected by "Microsoft Anti-Spyware"
Author: Message:
kibblesnbits

O.P. Huh?  spyware detected by "Microsoft Anti-Spyware"
Right, so, hi and whatnot.

I recently got a spyware scanner thingie (Microsoft Anti spyware; beta), and the results say that MSG plus DOES have spyware. I went to the FAQs and this is what it says (and I quote):

The best proof that Messenger Plus! is not a spyware or another kind of virus is that no serious Anti-Virus software or Spy-Detection tool will detect Messenger Plus! as being dangerous in any way... Some lies are propagated on the internet about Messenger Plus! by people who are just trying to kill its reputation...

Microsoft came up with this anti spyware. It's not some "unserious" spy-detection, it's a good one (seriously, it is; it got rid of several other spyware things I knew I had, but couldn't get rid of). Now, I haven't removed MSG plus yet because I love this thing, and it says the danger of the spyware is pretty low.

I've already uninstalled the sponsor thing from Add/Remove programs, thinking maybe that was it. It wasn't, it still detects stuff. Anyone else have this problem and how to solve it? I probably won't uninstall it (I love MSG plus too much), but if there's a way to get rid of the spyware and still keep MSG plus, then I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance,
~kibbles
06-05-2005 01:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: spyware detected by "Microsoft Anti-Spyware"
Please see this thread; and others listed there;
Microsoft ANtiSpyware Beta1 - False detections (not only Plus!). The detection is false, as many others on that thread are.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
06-05-2005 01:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
Hello kibblesnbits,

Firstly, I'd like to emphasize that Messenger Plus! itself is not spyware or adware in any way. If you choose to install without the sponsor program then you will have only Messenger Plus! and no spyware and no adware. However, even then Microsoft AntiSpyware will detect it.

If you install Messenger Plus! with the sponsor program then an adware package will also be installed (no spyware). This adware package is easy to remove and has been added to support the developer. Installation of it is in no way mandatory; installing it or not will not affect the functioning of Messenger Plus!.

Now the thing with Microsoft AntiSpyware is that one could say it tries too hard. It does not detect the sponsor program itself, but it detects Messenger Plus!, even when the sponsor program has not been installed. What it says is 'hey, you might have installed the sponsor program that came with Messenger Plus!' - and detects all Plus! files and registry keys in the process, making it look very dangerous.

However, a closer look shows that the threat is an adware bundler: no spyware, and not adware itself. It bundles adware (= sponsor program) - but if you have not installed it, or removed it afterwards, then there's nothing to worry about. The default action is to ignore, I believe.

quote:
The best proof that Messenger Plus! is not a spyware or another kind of virus is that no serious Anti-Virus software or Spy-Detection tool will detect Messenger Plus! as being dangerous in any way...
Technically, Microsoft AntiSpyware detects it as 'Adware Bundler': not dangerous, and it's not about Messenger Plus! itself (as I've tried to explain above).

quote:
the danger of the spyware is pretty low
Take a look at the screen again; spyware or adware? And there's no threat (hence the 'low' level) :)

quote:
I've already uninstalled the sponsor thing from Add/Remove programs, thinking maybe that was it. It wasn't, it still detects stuff.
Unfortunately it does, yes, as I've mentioned above. If you've got rid of the sponsor, you're all clear, really.

quote:
if there's a way to get rid of the spyware and still keep MSG plus, then I'd love to hear it.
I hope I've explained everything as good as possible. There's no spyware, as you see. There's nothing to worry about :)

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask them. You could also read the thread Anubis linked to, it has much information as well :)

This post was edited on 06-05-2005 at 01:27 PM by Tochjo.
06-05-2005 01:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Zephyr

monster.rat

35 / Male / Flag
Microsoft Anti-Spyware detects plus as adware bundler because it comes with an optional adware program.

More information about Microsoft Anti-Spyware and plus can be found here:

Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
MS Antispyware says Messenger Plus is adware
Microsoft ANtiSpyware Beta1 - False detections (not only Plus!)

This post was edited on 06-05-2005 at 01:27 PM by Zephyr.
[Image: rhcpsig38tj.png]
06-05-2005 01:26 PM
sweetgikelke

Sad  RE: spyware detected by "Microsoft Anti-Spyware"
Hi....

I didn't know where to ask, and my problem is kinda the same as yours is.
When you removed the sponsor, did it really disappear?
Because it didn't on my computer.
It's still there, right on my desktop!
First i thought i hadn't removed it properly, but if I now go to remove messenger plus, it says that there's no sponsor.
I don't know what to do, and I really want it gone.

Please help me...

Thanks a lot

xxx
06-08-2005 09:43 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by sweetgikelke
First i thought i hadn't removed it properly, but if I now go to remove messenger plus, it says that there's no sponsor.
You sure it's not some other adware/spyware?
[Image: spartaafk.png]
06-08-2005 11:58 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Zephyr

monster.rat

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by sweetgikelke
Hi....

I didn't know where to ask, and my problem is kinda the same as yours is.
I don't know what to do, and I really want it gone.

Please help me...

Thanks a lot

xxx

Also, did you try to remove the adware with any other programs such as adaware or spybot?

This may have damaged the uninstaller which then wouldn't properly uninstall the adware.

Try installing plus again with the adware then follow the instructions in add/remove programs and on the other threads posted in this thread.
[Image: rhcpsig38tj.png]
06-08-2005 12:02 PM
kibblesnbits

O.P. RE: spyware detected by "Microsoft Anti-Spyware"
Thanks for all your help and the links you provided, they helped. I guess maybe a better fuller version would catch that. I re-checked and it says it's an adware bundler which might let spyware get installed, but now I know the truth behind this *cackle*

quote:
Microsoft Anti-Spyware detects plus as adware bundler because it comes with an optional adware program

Yeah, I knew that. That's why I mentioned that I uninstalled it from Add/Remove. Thanks for the links =)
06-08-2005 08:40 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Clarification: Adware bundlers bundle adware, not spyware.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
06-09-2005 01:11 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: