What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Custom Smilies in names

Custom Smilies in names
Author: Message:
Davegoodson

O.P. Custom Smilies in names
Since i am a programer, i know its possible (It just has to be?). Either Microsoft put this into MSN Messenger (Which i believe it wont happen) , Patchou puts this into Messenger Plus (Which could happen?:)) or last but not least, a plug in :P.

If anyone as actualy done this, and posted about this forgive me. Im lazy n wanted to get my posts up abit 8-)

You know its a good idea :) And i suspect it must have been talked about before?

Thanks Loads Dave
06-20-2005 04:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Custom Smilies in names
yea it has been talked about before and like you said it is something that Microsoft would have to implement as it involves modifying the protocol.

If Messenger Plus! or a plugin did it, all users would need it to work.
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
06-20-2005 04:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Davegoodson

O.P. RE: Custom Smilies in names
Yes, but for Messenger Plus, Patchou didnt have to change the protocol did he? For different colours, he didnt have to change the protocol.. :) And you need Messenger Plus at each client side for the features to work. So there isn't any need for the modification of the MSN protocol.

It can work basicly in the same way as Custom sounds.
06-20-2005 04:34 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Davegoodson
It can work basicly in the same way as Custom sounds.
and buy a new server for the custom emoticons (which need to be uploaded one by one)? keep on dreaming, especially since the hashes take a lot of space in your nick...
quote:
For different colours, he didnt have to change the protocol..
that's a totally different code, there's no protocol stuff actually NEED.
quote:
So there isn't any need for the modification of the MSN protocol.
if you do it the custom sounds way, no, but that's insane...
06-20-2005 04:38 PM
Davegoodson

O.P. RE: Custom Smilies in names
This is what i thought how it can be done (h).

Each MSN client has all the simlies.. Messenger Plus would need 2 things, the ID of the similey and the persons passport (Email addy). Say like, this smiliy (y) had an id of 243. and it was a custom one. user A has the Simily in there MSN Messenger custom smiies, User B doesnt. User A puts the smiliy of the id 243 into his name by putting something like (!#243). Once User's B Messenger client notices the name change, Messenger Plus of user B  connects to user's A Messenger Plus, it askes for smililey id 243. then sends it to user B.

But then comes the problem of some how rendering the custom smiliely in MSN. Im not to sure on how that would be possible but it has to be some how, even if it doesnt work in the Contact Lists. I think users would like to have custom smilies while there talking to other people...

edit : It has to be possible, if no one else gives it a try, i will look into it since my last exam is on wednesday :D

This post was edited on 06-20-2005 at 04:50 PM by Davegoodson.
06-20-2005 04:48 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Custom Smilies in names
1) It would mean a very slow contact list for sure.
2) It wouldn't work if people are offline, blocked, etc...
3) Patchou would need to create his own sending and recieving protocol or needs to mess with the msn messenger protocol because there is nothing which can be used to send data from and towards a contact.
4) Patchou will not tamper with the protocol
5) not all custom icons are suitable for displaying in the contact list (regarding sizes)
6) no, not everybody likes it...

- custom sounds work because there is a conversation window open and the contact is online and thus information can be send to and from the contact without tampering with the protocol or using an alternative P2P method.
- It isn't critical if the custom sounds system lags a bit or take 1 second to connect to the server. However, it is extremely critical when displaying hundreds of custom emoticons in your contactlist, unless you're happy with waiting 5 minutes until everything is updated each time.

Unless MS implements this themselfs custom emoticons in names are not practical and doable at all in any way or solution you can think of...

(yep, this has been asked before, many times. In other words: for the futur, try to search for previously posted threads and post in them instead of creating yet another thread to avoid that we need to yet again repeat everything which has been said in those previous threads)

;)

This post was edited on 06-20-2005 at 10:57 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-20-2005 10:54 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
3) Patchou would need to create his own sending and recieving protocol or needs to mess with the msn messenger protocol because there is nothing which can be used to send data from and towards a contact.
untrue, if you use tags in your nick like (!#563f1ga85d3) to represent custom emoticons, it is perfectly possible using an emoticon server...

but then again, the slowness will definitely stop the idea from getting developed.
06-21-2005 08:12 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
untrue, if you use tags in your nick like (!#563f1ga85d3) to represent custom emoticons, it is perfectly possible using an emoticon server...
yeah I know... didn't know why I said point 3, but it was for some reason though (which I can't remember atm). I worded it wrong though...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-21-2005 10:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: