What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Starting a conversation via desktop contacts

Starting a conversation via desktop contacts
Author: Message:
segosa
Community's Choice

O.P. Starting a conversation via desktop contacts
Why exactly does it not trigger open convo notifiers on the other end when you start a conversation using a desktop contact? Is it because of the way Patchou opens the conversation window? I would have thought he'd do it the same way MSN Messenger does...
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
10-17-2005 10:23 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
RE: Starting a conversation via desktop contacts
he must do it the same way

im pretty sure he would use the instantmessage function in the messenger api :s

what other way is there?

This post was edited on 10-17-2005 at 03:52 PM by Stigmata.
10-17-2005 03:52 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Well, when segosa created this thread he pointed to it on IRC, I was also on IRC atm and I tried some stuff with a sniffer. And indeed some strange things happened or rather: didn't happen at all.

eg:

When you double click on a contact in the contact list, there is always, and I mean always some stuff send. You know, protocol and such...

But when you double click on a floating contact this only happens for the first time! After you closed the convo again and double click again on that particular floating contact, nothing seems to be send. I also had the perception (but this is only a rough perception, I didn't looked into detail or counted or whatever) that when stuff is send by double clicking on a floating contact, it is far less stuff than when you double click on a contact list contact... It is as if the chat window and even connection never closed (although it was).

I had a guess that when you double click on the contact list contact, MSN Messenger itself does more than simply opening the chat window. It first initiates a connection and all, only then opens the window, so to speak. And then the code of the window kicks in.

When you open a conversation programmatically (aka floating contacts), msn messenger doesn't do the stuff it would do otherwise. Only the code from when the chat window is actually openend is executed.

But this guess is far from solid though, it also doesn't explain why there is nothing send after you double click on the floating contact again (after closing the convo window); which does happen when you double click on a contact list contact....

So...
quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
he must do it the same way
im pretty sure he would use the instantmessage function in the messenger api :s
what other way is there?
My guess is that there is more code behind opening a chat window than only this instantmessage function. Code which is only executed by MSN Messenger itself when you double click on the contactlist. And thus not only the code from the instantmessage function (aka opening chat window module) which you otherwise execute _only_ when doing it programmatically.

Thus:

double click contact list:
- some code
- this instantmessage function
        - create and open the window
        - some code

a programmatically call to:
- this instantmessage function
        - create and open the window
        - some code

Blah... all this is for the protocol junkies anyways :P But I too am very curious about this after trying this out...

This post was edited on 10-17-2005 at 04:40 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-17-2005 04:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Your guess is correct Cookie... the MSN team has not been working on the old UIAutomation API for a long time so this kind of thing can be easily explained the way you did.

There's a good thing in this though: that's a nice workaround to know to bypass open-convo notifiers, one thing I'm sure to use against TB now :p.
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-17-2005 04:47 PM
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
But don't open conversation notifiers look for the RNG packet?

and this is normally sent every time a conversation is started :S

(well that is at least true with msnp8)
10-17-2005 07:41 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: