What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Convert Chatlogs?

Convert Chatlogs?
Author: Message:
krankertrottel

O.P. Convert Chatlogs?
hey.. i have a question.. i'm using msn messenger 7.5  and there are many chatlogs.. hm now i have installed msg plus! and i like it really :)

and now my question...

is it possible to convert the old chat logs (saved with normal msn messenger) to msg plus! chat logs?.. so i can read them when i click on a contact and click "view message history"  in main window?..

or is it possible to save chatlogs with normal save feature and to disable the msg plus! save feature?

hope u understand what i mean an u can help me :)
11-07-2005 01:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
RE: Convert Chatlogs?
I'm not sure if there's a way to "convert them"... But you could move them into the folder that your MsgPlus! Chat logs are stored... Then by viewing all your chat logs, those would be in there too.
11-07-2005 01:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
The format MSN logs in and the format MsgPlus! logs in are completely different so i don't think you can convert them (standard logs of Plus! are .txt files, encrypted Plus! ones are .ple).

You can use wichever logging you want, to turn off Plus! logging:
From main MSNM screen > Plus > preferences > logging..uncheck "automaticly log all my chats by default"

To turn off MSNM loggin if you wish to do so:
Tools > options > messages..under Message History uncheck "automaticly keep a history of my conversations"

This post was edited on 11-07-2005 at 01:33 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
11-07-2005 01:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
krankertrottel

O.P. RE: Convert Chatlogs?
ah okay.. thx for fast help :)
u can delete this thread now..
11-07-2005 01:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by krankertrottel
is it possible to convert the old chat logs (saved with normal msn messenger) to msg plus! chat logs?.. so i can read them when i click on a contact and click "view message history"  in main window?..
Sure you can convert them, even without a sweat (well... a bit of transpiration is always possible :p)...

Maybe you did seach, maybe you didn't, but this question was already asked many times before though (a long long time ago)... some quick found examples:
  Can I convert MSN chat log to plus! format?
  converting msn logs to Messenger Plus logs

And the Half-Sticky Post about it, explaining it in great detail, is located here:
CookieRevised's reply to "convert xml logs to txt plus-like logs"

have fun converting ;)

PS: there is no "convert everything in one go" utility though, so you will need to convert them one by one by opening/saving them. And because the MSN Messenger XML logs are saved per contact, and usually people save their Plus! txt logs per date, you will have to split/copy/paste the appropiate texts out of the logs and order them yourself.

quote:
or is it possible to save chatlogs with normal save feature and to disable the msg plus! save feature?
As Sunshine explained, you can enable and disable both MSN Messenger logs and Messenger Plus! logs as you like...

quote:
Originally posted by qgroessl
But you could move them into the folder that your MsgPlus! Chat logs are stored... Then by viewing all your chat logs, those would be in there too.
If you move the MSN Messenger logs to there, you wont be able to open them anymore from within MSN Messenger (and of course also not from within Messenger Plus!, as Plus! doesn't reconize them).

If you want, you can edit your MSN Messenger preferences and point the log directory to the same directory which Plus! uses though. But I wouldn't recommend that for many reasons...

quote:
u can delete this thread now..
Nah... It might be usefull to someone else

-----------

Anyways, for all your questions regarding converting the logs:
CookieRevised's reply to "convert xml logs to txt plus-like logs"

PS: For the other way around (converting Plus! logs to MSN Messenger XML logs), this is almost impossible since not all the information, needed to create an MSN Messenger XML log, is present in a Plus! log. Eg: contactnames can be shortened for starters)

;)

This post was edited on 11-07-2005 at 03:03 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-07-2005 02:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: