What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » encrypting logs

encrypting logs
Author: Message:
surfguy17

O.P. encrypting logs
i have edited the msn convo logs that plus makes and when i try and access it, it says that the file hasn't been encrypted by Messenger Plus or the file is corrupt but i am able to open it with notepad so i was wondering how would i encrypt the file so that msg plus would recognize it im a novice when it comes to computers so the more help the better.

Jamil
03-30-2006 01:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: encrypting logs
You can't edit the encrypted log files, simply as that.

I wonder though what you exactly edited, as the encrypted logs show nothing more than garbage in notepad. (Also note that encrypted log files are not text files you could edit in notepad; even simply opening them and saving them again without altering anything will render them corrupt because they are binary files.)

;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-30-2006 11:00 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
surfguy17

O.P. RE: encrypting logs
i dunno cuz all i do is go to the log right click it and then go to open with and then to notepad and it opens fine
04-01-2006 04:22 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
All possbile files on your computer can be opened fine though. It is what you mean by "fine". If "fine" means they simply open, then yes, every possible file can be openend.

If by "fine" you mean that you can see human readable text when you open a Messenger Plus! log, then that log was not encrypted. Because if it was encrypted (file with a .ple extension) you would see stuff like this:
quote:
MPLE1<<   #^t] ;!)ݯ_K2.[9XBEAd֝~$r ,:oUȮOwݲ\PR{m(    Np'WwxeOn[Iz$ǩ\u,+ wT8?m2ÌAc|s|"˄abW$:*c=G{r$~ÔD%l_~QdAZ: f?[G

When you open a non-encrypted Messenger Plus! log (file with a .txt extension) with notepad you would see:
quote:
.--------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Session Start: donderdag 9 maart 2006                              |
| Participants:                                                      |
|    ... oh boy... (am theater technician now \o/) (xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx) |
|    JulioCampos. (xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx)                             |
.--------------------------------------------------------------------.
[01:31:36] Playing emotion sound "?"

This can be edited as you like, and saved right back as a Messenger Plus! log (note that you must use the filename extension .txt, not .ple). Messenger Plus! will read the (edited) file just fine as it does not any checking on the file format of that text log.
04-01-2006 07:58 AM
surfguy17

ok what i means by fine is the second option but if messenger does encrypt the files (and i have it passworded as well) how come i can read the text fine even if i click the text file once it will say encrypted file
04-02-2006 07:09 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by surfguy17
ok what i means by fine is the second option but if messenger does encrypt the files (and i have it passworded as well) (...)
It is not Messenger that encrypts logs, it is Messenger Plus! ;)

quote:
(...) how come i can read the text fine even if i click the text file once it will say encrypted file
You can not read an encrypted log just by opening the log directly in notepad, that is simple totally impossible.

What is possible is that you didn't right click and choose "open with" and then selected notepad, but that you double clicked the encrypted log file (file with a .ple extension).

When you double click on a file in Windows Explorer, Windows will start the associated program for that file extension. For .PLE files (Plus! encrypted chat logs) this is Messenger Plus!. Thus when you double click an encrypted log Messenger Plus! will automatically decrypt it after you entered the password and show you a temporary unencrypted text file. This text file can also be edited, but that is rather useless as it will not be kept but deleted afterwards as it was only temporarly.
04-02-2006 08:57 AM
surfguy17

so how would i edit them then?
04-02-2006 04:10 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
so how would i edit them then?
You cannot edit Encrypted Messenger Plus! logs. If you attempt to you will render the file usless and your log would be corrupted and you would need to delete it.
04-02-2006 04:16 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: