What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Folders created by Messenger Users

Folders created by Messenger Users
Author: Message:
Chum1

O.P. Folders created by Messenger Users
Hi

THis question relates to the following directory and folders within a windows 7 environment-

Users/[PCNAME]/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Messenger

Under this folder i have a folder with my own email address which i naturally use for hotmail and Messenger-

Users/[PCUSER]/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Messenger/xyz@hotmail.com

Under my hotmail folder there are the usual folders- object store and Social News etc.

There are two other folders for other users.

Users/[PCUSER]/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Messenger/abc@hotmail.com

and
Users/[PCUSER]/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Messenger/abc@def.com

Both of those folders have a single folder - object store- and both of those folders have Winks3 which contain emoticons

Note, 'xyz', 'abc' and 'def' are substitutes for the real user id's and mail domain.

I assume another user has used my PC to log into messenger.  My question is this, is there any other way that those two other folders could have been created other than by logging into messenger on my PC?

Thanks in advance

Chum1
08-27-2010 05:00 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Folders created by Messenger Users
It may be possible those folders where created to store a local copy of the winks/custom emoticons. This saves the server having to resend the images.

I believe if they had have logged in on your PC, the other folders would be created too (social news etc)
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
08-27-2010 05:32 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chum1

O.P. RE: Folders created by Messenger Users
Thanks Spunky, i hope that's it.  It does make sense.
08-27-2010 05:44 AM
Chum1

O.P. RE: Folders created by Messenger Users
Hi Spunky

I just had another thought. What if they logged in without ticking remember my name, remember my password etc. perhaps those other folders wouldn't be created.

I'm going to try it later, i can't now, but you seem to know a bit about it so i thought i'd write it here and get your thoughts.

Chum
08-27-2010 11:24 AM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

36 / Male / Flag
I would still imagine it would have to create folder for their personal settings.

I can't remember off the top of my head where, but information about users that have signed in gets saved to the registry too.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
08-27-2010 11:10 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chum1
I assume another user has used my PC to log into messenger.  My question is this, is there any other way that those two other folders could have been created other than by logging into messenger on my PC?
Not that I know of...
Those folders are only created when you log in into Messenger.

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
It may be possible those folders where created to store a local copy of the winks/custom emoticons. This saves the server having to resend the images.
correct, but:

quote:
I believe if they had have logged in on your PC, the other folders would be created too (social news etc)
Not necessarily. It depends on what you did on Messenger and how you configured it. Eg: if you never use winks or get winks, that 'Winks3' subfolder wont be created. The same goes for almost every other folder.
So, yep, those are mainly folders to store cache. But if there is nothing to store, nothing will be created upfront.

quote:
I can't remember off the top of my head where, but information about users that have signed in gets saved to the registry too.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings
is one example...

Under that registry path there are subkeys which are the so called MSN IDs of the accounts which have logged in (at least attempted to log in) into Messenger.

This post was edited on 12-30-2010 at 11:36 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-30-2010 10:50 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: