What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Incoming chat windows not opening

Incoming chat windows not opening
Author: Message:
Zemlor

O.P. Incoming chat windows not opening
The best way I can describe the issue is that about half or maybe over half of new incoming chats fail to open a window.

What happens is, I get a popup alert in the bottom right of a new message, but sometimes it will open the chat window, other times it won't. When I go to open a chat with that contact, it will then show their messages as normal. This issue keeps causing me to miss messages from people, and end up responding sometimes multiple days later. I am not sure if this is a WLM or a Plus! bug, but I was hoping to get some advice. Is there even a script for plus that would change how new chat popup windows work so that the alert doesn't go away until you click on it? Anything that will help me to stop missing messages from friends.
10-21-2010 08:04 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Zemlor

O.P. RE: Incoming chat windows not opening
No one got an idea? :(
11-01-2010 08:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Incoming chat windows not opening
quote:
Originally posted by Zemlor
I am not sure if this is a WLM or a Plus! bug, but I was hoping to get some advice.
To rule Messenger Plus! out, uninstall it and use Windows Live Messenger for a while without it and see if the issue still pops up. Also enable Windows Live Messenger chat logs to keep track of messages to check if you didn't missed any... (in case that would work of course, dunno, because it could be that if no chat window is shown, it also wont log the messages).

But also note that, if you uninstall Plus!, you wont realy have a visible way of knowing when a new message is send. And thus it might seem that the (WLM) issue is solved, although it isn't. So, don't jump to conclussions too quickly when it seems to be solved when you uninstall Plus!.

quote:
Originally posted by Zemlor
Is there even a script for plus that would change how new chat popup windows work so that the alert doesn't go away until you click on it?
No, something like that does not exist. You can't change the showing time of the native toasts.

Although, you could write a script which emulates the exact same thing though, and where the popup (or whatever you have designed) stays visible until you dismiss it. You can also create a message in the Event Log of Messenger Plus! for this using such a script. Another thing one can build in is a check to see if the created conversation window isn't in fact 'hidden'.

But remember that if Plus! 'misses' a new chat (although that shouldn't happen), chances are very high that its scripting engine will also miss it since it is all tight together of course.

--

Another thing that might be happening is that you have some software installed which conflicts with Windows Live Messenger's way of creating chat windows. Stuff like 'Windows Blinds' or other desktop alteration software comes to mind for example... Even stuff like bad made extensions (eg: Smiley Central and the likes) could cause this issue.

btw: is it always with the same contacts? In that case contact Windows Live Support and explain the issue in great detail, incl. the contact's names.

This post was edited on 11-01-2010 at 09:11 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-01-2010 08:59 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: