What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Reverting to WLM 14

Reverting to WLM 14
Author: Message:
Seith

O.P. Undecided  Reverting to WLM 14
Hi guys,

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=95415

I'm trying to revert my WLM to v14 to get away from the **** fest of WLM'11.

Does anyone know where I can download the stand alone installer for messenger without the windows live web package installer (using this tells me I've already installed a newer version because I have had to leave WLE Mail'11 installed as it's full of work emails that I can't just scrap.

Many thanks in advance,
Seith
11-02-2010 11:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Reverting to WLM 14
1) A full installer will tell you the exact same thing: uninstall the newer version first.

You can not install an older version over a newer version, what kind of installer you have doesn't matter.

2) Uninstalling Messenger will not remove you contacts. Contacts are stored on the Windows Live servers. Messenger always 'downloads' (syncronizes) with your online contacts.

Also note that you can check your contacts even if you don't have Messenger installed: Go to your Windows Live profile and click on the 'Contacts' link. Or navigate directly to http://mail.live.com/?rru=contacts.

---

Thus:
1) first uninstall WLM2011
2) second, download the WLM2009 (online) installer from the official webpage: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-Messenger-XP and run it

This post was edited on 11-02-2010 at 07:47 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-02-2010 07:42 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Seith

O.P. RE: Reverting to WLM 14
Hi Cookie thanks for your reply. I think you've misunderstood what I'm asking.

1) That's what I said the problem is.
2) I didn't say anything about contacts?

I want to leave Windows Live Mail 2011 installed and install Windows Messenger 14 using a stand alone installer. ie, the messenger.exe installer and not the downloader program as I don't think the messenger installer on it's own would look for Windows Live Mail 2011 (I could be wrong but I want to try).

All I'm looking for is a windows messenger 14 installer (without the package installer)

Cheers,
Seith
11-03-2010 09:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Reverting to WLM 14
Yeah, I misread a part of your post. I didn't notice you said Windows Live _Mail_.

But I dunno if using the full offline installer of Windows Live Messenger 2009 will work though. Many components of all the Windows Live programs are shared. As such, chances are very high the full installer of Windows Live Messenger will simply refuse too.

What might work is uninstalling everything, then install Windows Live Messenger 2009 first, and after that use the installer of the Windows Live Essentials 2011 to only install Windows Live Mail 2011.

Installing two different versions of programs (that is, tools which shared quite a lot of components in this case) has never been successfull if you install the new version first. You always need to install an older version first, otherwise you end up overwriting a new version of a component with an old one, which will result in all kinds of unexpected behaviour (bugs/crashes/etc).

I dunno where you can download the full offline installer of Messenger 2009 from an official site (they exist, but I don't have the URLs at hand). But I know Menthix has the full installers stored online though. Also check out the link to Trekkie's blog if you want just Messenger: Menthix's reply to Windows Live Messenger 14.0.8089.726 released today

This post was edited on 11-03-2010 at 10:30 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-03-2010 10:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: