What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Preference Security

Preference Security
Author: Message:
phily

O.P. Preference Security
I was kind of screwed over by this. I guess I'll start off with what I have.

Windows Version: Windows 2003, 5.02.3790
Messenger Client Version: 6.2.0137
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.25.0106

Plus polygamy for multiple MSNs.

I have two accounts, one for business, and one for pleasure. I keep logs on the business account, but not on the one for pleasure. I use two different one passwords, one for my logs, and one for my preferences.

If I'm logged in with my business or personal account and click on Plus! > Preferences, I'm prompted for the preference password which I then enter to get in.

Also, if I just open up msn, and do not sign in, and go to Plus! > Preferences, once again I'm prompted for the same preference password even though I'm not signed in. I'm not sure if that’s what it’s supposed to do, but anyways, that’s not the problem.

I have windows 2003 server running on this machine. It allows for simultaneous connections. So if I'm logged in doing whatever, and someone else remotely logs onto my computer, we can both use it at the same time.

What happened to me, was my g/f, who does have my logs password, but not preferences password, logged on remotely, opened up msn but didn’t sign in, and when she went to Plus! > Preferences, she wasn't prompted for a password. It’s weird, because when I do that, I am prompted for a password. She then enabled logs, and for some reason, that enabled logs for all my accounts (meaning my pleasure account) even though I specifically said not to in the preferences of pleasure account. So now all my accounts had their chats being logged, and she was able to get to them.

I'm not sure if this is also a problem with remote desktop on XP because you can't have simultaneous connections, but it might be a remote desktop thing.

Either way, when she logged on remotely, she was able to access preferences without needing a password. Furthermore, whatever changes she made at that time, affected all my accounts.

I don't know what you can do Patchou, but you da man!

Phil
10-21-2004 10:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Preference Security - by phily on 10-21-2004 at 10:40 PM
RE: Preference Security - by Chrono on 10-21-2004 at 11:33 PM
RE: Preference Security - by Concord Dawn on 10-22-2004 at 03:50 AM
RE: Preference Security - by stuartbennett on 10-22-2004 at 07:02 AM
RE: Preference Security - by phily on 10-23-2004 at 08:37 AM
RE: Preference Security - by saralk on 10-23-2004 at 10:53 AM
RE: Preference Security - by CookieRevised on 10-25-2004 at 01:50 PM