What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Desktop contacts don't know when Exchange users are online

Desktop contacts don't know when Exchange users are online
Author: Message:
mgaston

O.P. Desktop contacts don't know when Exchange users are online
I'm using:
  • Microsoft Windows Messenger 5.1.0639 at work, as provided by my company,
    Messenger Plus! 3.61.145,
    Windows 2000 SP4

My Contact List consists of mostly in-company contacts who are registered on the company Exchange server, and a few external users.  When I use Plus to create a desktop contact and double-click on that desktop contact, the external users are processed correctly (an online message window appears for users who are online, and a come-back window for users who are offline).  However, when double-clicking on a desktop contact for an internal user, the come-back window is always displayed, regardless of whether that user is online or not.  In other words, there is no way I can use the handy desktop contacts to initiate an online conversation with an online internal user.

I'm not sure if the folowing information is a clue to the problem, but will include it just in case...

The external users have their first name & last name listed on the desktop contact, and when I use their desktop contact to send them an e-mail, the correct e-mail address is used.  By contrast, internal users have their e-mail address (e.g., mike@companyname.com) listed on the desktop contact instead of their name, and if I use their desktop contact to send them an e-mail, it uses a different and invalid e-mail address, in the form mike@im.companyname.com.  Curiously, if I use the right-click context menu in Windows Messenger (instead of Plus) to send an e-mail, Messenger uses the correct e-mail address (mike@companyname.com).  It almost seems as though Plus is looking at the wrong internal field to determine the internal user's e-mail address and online status, compared to the way Windows Messenger handles it.

Hope this helps to diagnose the problem, thanks.
10-12-2005 08:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Desktop contacts don't know when Exchange users are online - by mgaston on 10-12-2005 at 08:24 PM
RE: Desktop contacts don't know when Exchange users are online - by RaceProUK on 10-13-2005 at 11:36 AM
RE: Desktop contacts don't know when Exchange users are online - by mgaston on 10-13-2005 at 12:59 PM
RE: Desktop contacts don't know when Exchange users are online - by RaceProUK on 10-19-2005 at 01:47 PM
RE: Desktop contacts don't know when Exchange users are online - by mgaston on 10-19-2005 at 02:15 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: