What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Handling redundant threads

Handling redundant threads
Author: Message:
Aeryn

– / Female / –
O.P. Handling redundant threads
Okay, I've been meaning to bring this up for some time now and as one more redundant thread has just been posted, I decided to finally do it. And before any of the regular members post, let me say that I'm actually seeking for the opinion of the forum staff. Also, this does not so much concern threads about help with MsgPlus and such, mostly only the ones that would go in GCC.

As far as I see (and please do correct me if I'm wrong), a very common way of dealing with a redundant thread around here is someone posting a link to an existing thread and possibly the redundant topic being moved to T&T, and that's it. But this way discussion goes on in the new thread and the redirects are absolutely useless - no one's going to use the already established thread if the new one can still be used (or, if someone will bump the old thread, then there will be several discussions about the same topic on the first page). So what I think would make more sense would be to redirect such threads (as in, give a link to an existing thread or tell people to search before posting) and then lock them as well, which would actually force the posters to keep the discussion in one thread.

So all in all, I personally think a better policy of handling redundant threads should exist, because right now this area seems to be kinda chaotic. Any thoughts from the staff members?

This post was edited on 01-23-2007 at 03:59 PM by Aeryn.
01-23-2007 03:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Handling redundant threads - by Aeryn on 01-23-2007 at 03:52 PM
RE: Handling redundant threads - by plus on 01-23-2007 at 04:31 PM
RE: RE: Handling redundant threads - by Aeryn on 01-23-2007 at 04:49 PM
RE: Handling redundant threads - by Lourix on 01-23-2007 at 05:03 PM
RE: Handling redundant threads - by Eddie on 01-23-2007 at 05:10 PM
RE: Handling redundant threads - by WDZ on 01-23-2007 at 06:32 PM
RE: Handling redundant threads - by Oxy on 01-23-2007 at 06:38 PM
RE: Handling redundant threads - by Nathan on 01-23-2007 at 06:50 PM