What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Removing low quality scripts from the DB

1 votes - 5 average   Removing low quality scripts from the DB
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Removing low quality scripts from the DB
Just posting to let you all know that i just removed about 10 or 15 scripts from the DB at http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/browse/. These scripts have been removed either because they have very clear errors in them or because they barely had any functionality to offer.

Scripts that have been removed include (didn't write all the names down):
- Check B4 Send
- Auto Hey / Auto Bye / Auto NvM / Auto Nothing
- Random Caps
- Tada Toast
- Special Small Characters

In the future i will be stricter in allowing scripts like these on the DB, however i do not want to scare people away from submitting their scripts... in fact, i would love to see some of the scripts posted in this forum submitted to the DB :). Small and simple scripts are certainly welcome on the scripts DB, as long as they work properly, add some nice functionality, and you write a clear description for it. Scripts don't always have to be useful either, there is enough room for scripts in the fun section. But in the future the following scripts are likely to be denied:
  • Autoresponders without much features (like Auto Hey/Auto Bye/Auto NvM and such). An autoresponder if fine, but make it configurable with a nice GUI so users can add their own responses and message rules, there are some nice examples of that already in the Bots and Autotalkers section.
  • "Weirdtalkers" without much features, like "Special Small Characters" and "Random Caps" were. Again, these type of scripts are fine, but only when you add a nice GUI to them and make them configurable so users can add their own talkers.
  • Scripts that barely have any real functionality, like "Tada Toast" for example that only displayed a toast message when you open a conversation window.
  • Scripts that are submitted without a description that tells users what the script does and how they can use it. Please, read the submit guidelines. Most of the users just don't know to click the scripts icon or even type / in a conversation window to see the commands.

If you think a script that is currently still in the DB should be removed too, let me know in this topic, by PM or mail to [Image: scripts_submit.png] and i will certainly take a look at it. Unfortunately i can't read every thread in the scripts section to watch for malfunctioning scripts.

But again, please do not stop submitting your scripts just because yours does not have over 10.000 lines of perfect code. I will not deny scripts because you are not a leet coder or because you don't have the time to add all the features you can dream of. In general scripts are only denied when coding errors stop the script from working properly.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-20-2007 07:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Removing low quality scripts from the DB - by Menthix on 06-20-2007 at 07:20 PM
RE: Removing low quality scripts from the DB - by Nathan on 06-20-2007 at 07:58 PM
RE: Removing low quality scripts from the DB - by Menthix on 06-20-2007 at 08:41 PM
RE: Removing low quality scripts from the DB - by markee on 06-21-2007 at 10:31 AM
RE: Removing low quality scripts from the DB - by Deco on 06-22-2007 at 12:18 PM
RE: Removing low quality scripts from the DB - by NanaFreak on 06-22-2007 at 12:30 PM
RE: Removing low quality scripts from the DB - by joey on 06-22-2007 at 12:31 PM
RE: Removing low quality scripts from the DB - by absorbation on 06-22-2007 at 02:17 PM
RE: Removing low quality scripts from the DB - by Menthix on 06-22-2007 at 05:49 PM
RE: Removing low quality scripts from the DB - by CookieRevised on 06-22-2007 at 05:53 PM
RE: Removing low quality scripts from the DB - by John Anderton on 06-22-2007 at 06:20 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: