What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » malware/spyware inside ???

malware/spyware inside ???
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: malware/spyware inside ???
quote:
Originally posted by Squi
"software programs designed to damage or do other unwanted actions on a computer system"
The toolbars don't damage your computer (eventhough it might be hard to uninstall it in some cases). And the actions are not unwanted since you must tick the boxes in order to install it, which implies you want it to do what it does. So, no, not malware...

As I said, I can understand a mishap and clicking something by accident (it has happened in the past to me too, just like anyone else I assume), but that does not make something automatically malware, eventhough I also understand the frustration something like this might bring (I had my big share of hair pulling and shouting at the screen too - still do sometimes :p - and calling certain stuff 'malware' because it doesn't do what I thought it did... to quite often realize the fault was my own (which doesn't help ease the pain of course)).

quote:
Originally posted by Cadavre
I can only hope signing up on this forum and go out my way to figure this out will not have my email spammed. Good day.
nope, you're not going to get spammed. Why would you?

quote:
If you are a volunteer, then who is behind Plus?
Yuna Software, as you can read on the official website.
Some of the programmers are also members of these forums, you can find them here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showteam.php

quote:
Wouldn't it benefit to get to the root of the problem? I understand you only know so much, and I thank you for responding, but this is alarming. I've worked with computers for years and I know what is what, and while I realize the possibility of a mistake, this shouldn't have happened to several different people.
Some people have reported the same stuff before, dating back to the very first versions years ago. Each time those people insisted that they didn't ticked the boxes. However, time and again it always came down to not reading the setup pages properly and/or (by accident) (un)ticking the wrong boxes. Each time something like this is reported it is done with a lot of (quite understandable) frustration, but that does not change anything to the fact that the choices were ultimatly done by the users themselfs though.

Know that there is neither some random thing build in which decides to ignore the preference of the user. All the known setups are programmed to not download and install the sponsor if the boxes are unticked, simple as that (and in programming terms it is indeed a simply check, nothing complicated). All setups are also tested for this, not only by the programmers but also by us and other people too. Nobody has ever reported such a problem where the unticked boxes are ignore before, ever. Believe me, if they were ignored, the people responsible for this will hear about it, loudly.

So, if something was installed it is not the fault of those particular known setups, I'm sorry. And again, I understand that it can be very frustrating to hear this if it has happened to you, but it is what it is.

So, despite there were sometimes different problems with (other) sponsors in the past, the "installed by itself" problem like described in this thread was, in the end, always the fault of the user though.

--

Anyways, as I said in previous post, if we could take a look at the offending setup it would be very helpfull. Having the exact URL where the setup is downloaded from is even better (note: I'm not talking about http://www.msgplus.net/DownloadMsgPlus.aspx, but the URL it redirects to taken from the http headers). Otherwise there is no other way we can "get to the root of the problem".

This post was edited on 10-09-2011 at 03:29 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-08-2011 09:44 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
malware/spyware inside ??? - by tiptopweb on 10-01-2011 at 03:11 PM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by Spunky on 10-01-2011 at 04:34 PM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by tiptopweb on 10-01-2011 at 05:43 PM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by CookieRevised on 10-01-2011 at 06:03 PM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by tiptopweb on 10-01-2011 at 07:59 PM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by CookieRevised on 10-01-2011 at 08:28 PM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by Cadavre on 10-08-2011 at 07:52 AM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by CookieRevised on 10-08-2011 at 08:02 AM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by Cadavre on 10-08-2011 at 08:04 AM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by tiptopweb on 10-08-2011 at 08:12 AM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by Cadavre on 10-08-2011 at 08:15 AM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by CookieRevised on 10-08-2011 at 08:19 AM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by Cadavre on 10-08-2011 at 08:23 AM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by CookieRevised on 10-08-2011 at 08:34 AM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by Cadavre on 10-08-2011 at 08:39 AM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by CookieRevised on 10-08-2011 at 08:49 AM
RE: RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by Cadavre on 10-08-2011 at 09:04 AM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by Squi on 10-08-2011 at 09:08 AM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by Spunky on 10-08-2011 at 09:40 AM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by CookieRevised on 10-08-2011 at 09:44 AM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by Nathalie on 10-10-2011 at 09:47 AM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by matty on 10-10-2011 at 04:06 PM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by CookieRevised on 10-10-2011 at 04:24 PM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by jessica87 on 10-10-2011 at 08:21 PM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by jessica87 on 10-10-2011 at 08:27 PM
RE: malware/spyware inside ??? - by matty on 10-11-2011 at 12:41 PM
Web browser add-ons...how to uninstall? - by jessica87 on 10-08-2011 at 08:14 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: