What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » Short labels

1 votes - 5 average   Short labels
Author: Message:
Kian

42 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Short labels
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Read this thread: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24389

My comments about it: if u are a good translator, u will be able to describe the feature/word with ur own words, even if u change them ;)
i have had the same problems (spanish (latin) translation) and i always could find a workarround :)
It has absolutely nothing to do if I am good translator or not. It has something to do with the language that I am translating Plus! in to.

I know the words to translated and I know the right words to translate 'em in to - thats a fact! The point is still that if I want to keep the red line through a label with only two words I need to translate directly into another two words which holds the same meaning, and sometimes it is difficult.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Well, I'm realy struggling to fit many words in the short labels (not the descriptions, that's not a problem, but the 1 or few words labels and buttons)) AND keeping things consequent AND not using dialects and abbrivations... I agree with Kian that this is a very difficult translation because the labels are often just big enough for English (and English is a very short language, most languages need far more characters and words to describe just the same thing (even if you keep it basic))
Thank you for your sympathy :D I appreciate that

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
u can pic up a dictionary and search for synonims (or whatever is spelt )
again... thats not enough. You don't have to look up simple words when you already know 'em and all the ways you can handle 'em (the words)
It's all about the space - not that the translator is ugly and do not know how to use a dictionary

quote:
Originally posted by Leif
I noticed that. Looks a bit ugly.
Could you perhaps use just "Kommandoer" instead? And on the button "Generelle Indstillinger" just write "Generellt" or something like that. My Danish is lousy so I can't really tell if this is possible. You have the same problem with "Privatlivs-beskyttelse" (which is almost as long as a normal Swedish word!  What about "Privatliv" or "Privat"?
Hehe... but by doing so I'll loose a lot of information but I guess thats the way to handle the situation...

// Kian (aka Peter)
The stupid Dane

This post was edited on 05-07-2004 at 07:51 AM by Kian.
lets get one thing straight - i am NOT
05-07-2004 07:30 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Short labels - by Kian on 05-06-2004 at 10:21 PM
RE: Short labels - by Chrono on 05-06-2004 at 10:39 PM
RE: Short labels - by CookieRevised on 05-07-2004 at 12:20 AM
RE: Short labels - by Chrono on 05-07-2004 at 12:22 AM
RE: Short labels - by CookieRevised on 05-07-2004 at 12:37 AM
RE: Short labels - by Patchou on 05-07-2004 at 03:54 AM
RE: Short labels - by Leif on 05-07-2004 at 04:33 AM