What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated]

Poll: What do you think about Firefox' latest releases?
I think its bugkill-releases are a sign of proper growth
It's still a beta and anything can't be objectively judged before final releases
It starts to smell like Internet Explorer... (it's just as buggy) :dodgy:
Despite of the couple bugs it's an awesome browser.
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated]
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated]
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStom
Doesn't it look like as in Microsoft where any security bug is being patched?
Well, it isn't the same...
Internet Explorer has security bugs which takes them over a month to fix (donload.ject for example), FireFox has serious security bugs fixed in several hours.

Every program has bugs and security issues, and the more popular a program gets the more people will try to find security holes. I'm sure a lot of new security bugs will be found during the next years in both IE and FF, but as long as they are fixed properly and fast this doesn't have to be a problem.

What i still miss about Firefox at this moment is a simple way of upgrading. It's not really a problem for me, but inexperienced users coming from IE sometimes have problems upgrading. At this moment it is still recommended to un-install your old Firefox first and then install the new one.
What i would like to see is an automatic update system that checks to see if there is a new version, if there is one it should notify the user and ask if he/she wants to update now. If the user clicks yes it should just install the update full-automatic without having to un-install the old one first or anything. And the same goes for the updating of extensions, i know it is already possible to check automatically for updates in the current Firefox, but a lot of extensions don't support the update checking because it costs them to much bandwith, if Mozilla could host the automatic updates theirselves that would be sweet.

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
People will use the Beta argument to cover up flaws in the program.  It's just too easy in my opinion.  IE has such popularity that many bugs are found AND FIXED.  Mozilla is still crappy & unknown to the majority of Internet Users so fewer people to find bugs in the code.
Firefox doesn't use their beta stage as an excuse, some of their users may do that. But the development team is very much concerned about stability.
As you can read in their roadmap ( http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/roadmap.html ), almost everything they will do is fixing bugs and making sure everything is stable before the 1.0 final release.
You might ask why all those bugs are there in the first place? Firefox is as they call it a "Technology Preview" or beta as most say, it is just a completely diffrent strategy then IE which you compare it to. Internet Exploer doesn't do public beta's, so they would have waited with releasing their browser until they have a stable production release, ofcourse they expect to have bugs in their, but those should be minor and way less then in a beta. Firefox on the other hand chooses to have public beta testing, and in this way they actually hope that people will find and report bugs (Just like when Messenger Plus! would be beta tested). Every bug that is found in Firefox and gets reported in the proper way will be checked seriously by the developers. Ofcourse they can't fix everything at once, that is bugs are divided in category's, major critical bugs will be fixed inmidiatly, minor bugs will have less priority. But is saying "this product is still beta, so yes it has bugs in it" used to cover up flaws? I don't think it is, a public beta is just an oppertunity to test and use a program before it's first production release. If they didn't do a public beta you would have still not known about Firefox know. Consider it a bonus, installing is at your own risk, if you don't want to face problems... wait untill the final release, this release is basicly only ment for testing.

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
fewer people to find bugs in the code
Well, if you compare it to Internet Explorer i have to disagree. Intenet Explorer is closed source which means only the Internet Explorer team itself, certain other Microsoft employees and certain people who take part at the Microsoft Shared Source can actually access the source code and find and fix bugs in it. Firefox is open source which means anybody on the whole world can access the code and find/fix bugs. And when you'll take a look at their buglist ( http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?product=Firefox ) you'll see that a lot of bugs actually do get reported and fixed.

This post was edited on 08-06-2004 at 02:24 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-06-2004 01:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by KeyStorm on 08-05-2004 at 10:31 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? - by Jeronimo on 08-05-2004 at 11:17 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? - by bach_m on 08-06-2004 at 12:10 AM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? - by Mike on 08-06-2004 at 06:50 AM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? - by Pipish on 08-06-2004 at 08:26 AM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? - by Anubis on 08-06-2004 at 08:30 AM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by KeyStorm on 08-06-2004 at 08:57 AM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by Jeronimo on 08-06-2004 at 09:44 AM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by Garndell on 08-06-2004 at 01:10 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by Menthix on 08-06-2004 at 01:33 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by GiantSpider on 08-06-2004 at 01:43 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by Jeronimo on 08-06-2004 at 02:15 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by Anubis on 08-06-2004 at 02:32 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by Menthix on 08-06-2004 at 02:38 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by Jeronimo on 08-06-2004 at 02:40 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by Garndell on 08-06-2004 at 08:32 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by Jeronimo on 08-06-2004 at 08:51 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by KeyStorm on 08-06-2004 at 09:16 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by Chestah on 08-06-2004 at 10:39 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by KeyStorm on 08-06-2004 at 11:06 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by Garndell on 08-07-2004 at 12:33 PM
RE: Mozilla Firefox: buggy or dynamic? [Poll updated] - by Concord Dawn on 08-07-2004 at 02:02 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: