What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Legal issues

Legal issues
Author: Message:
Jivlain

O.P. Legal issues
Wow, this probably sounds really nerdish....

I've been using Messenger Plus! for some time. I'm also a computer programmer, with a view to creating online games. So far the sort of thing I've looked at is simple p2p connections where one person enter's the other's IP address to connect, but I'd like to look at offering my users a couple more options. One of the easier options is to create a plugin for an IM program, to allow a couple players to establish a connection.

I'm just a little concerned about the legal issues, I'd somewhat think it preferable if I didn't break the MSN Terms of Service while doing it ;)

The relevant passage from the MSN Messenger terms of service is as follows:
"YOU MAY ONLY USE MICROSOFT CLIENT SOFTWARE OR AUTHORIZED THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE TO ACCESS AND/OR USE THE SERVICE. A LIST OF AUTHORIZED THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE CAN BE FOUND AT HTTP://MESSENGER.MSN.COM/HELP/AUTHORIZED.ASPX. You may not use any software or services in conjunction with Microsoft client software or authorized third-party software which modifies or reroutes, or attempts to modify or reroute, the Service. You may not authorize any third party to access and/or use the Service on your behalf using any automated process such as a BOT, a spider or periodic caching of information stored by Microsoft on your behalf without a separate written agreement with Microsoft. You may not use any software or hardware that reduces the number of users directly accessing or using the Service (sometimes called 'multiplexing' or 'pooling' software or hardware).

You may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or services that are part of the Service except as expressly provided in these Terms of Use."

Can anyone here, who is fluent in legalese, suggest whether that should be interpreted to mean that you can, or cannot, use MSN Messenger to connect two players who want to play an online game together?

Thanks in advance.

I suppose I could, in any event, get a server to do it, but whether I can justify spending hundreds of dollars each year on the net connection (not to mention the server) to host this game is rather cloudy.

This post was edited on 08-14-2004 at 02:37 AM by Jivlain.
08-14-2004 02:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Legal issues - by Jivlain on 08-14-2004 at 02:32 AM
RE: Legal issues - by Maniac on 08-14-2004 at 02:40 AM
RE: Legal issues - by Jivlain on 08-14-2004 at 03:04 AM
RE: Legal issues - by Menthix on 08-14-2004 at 03:13 AM
RE: Legal issues - by Jingizu on 08-15-2004 at 12:06 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend