What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » VB Runtime in my programs Installer?

VB Runtime in my programs Installer?
Author: Message:
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
RE: VB Runtime in my programs Installer?
quote:
Originally posted by RileyM
I would like to know if i can somehow include the Visual Basic runtime files in the installer, then the users will not need to download the runtime files.
you can include the installation package of the vb runtime files (that you can gt somewhere in microsoft.com) but I wouldn't do that, because it'd be more than 1 MB in the setup package.

The other thing you can do is use a wizard that comes with VB that create installation packages. In spansish its name is "asistente para el empaquetado y distribucion" or somethign similar. I don't know its english name.

Anyway, I think that the best thing you can do is put a note in your current installation package that tells the user to download and install the vb runtime files if s/he doesn't have them. Put a link to the microsoft site and that would be ok: your package will be small and users that already have the vb files won't need to get / install them again.

quote:
Originally posted by RileyM
Also, i want to add settings to my programs, But need help on how to get my program to remember the settings the next time it opens, i'm a beginner at programming. I know you can use the registry for this, but can someone give me hel on how to do this?
maybe you can start using the vb functions GetSetting and SaveSetting and similar ones. Search them in your online help for more information. However, I'd suggest you to use the windows API functions. Using them you have more control over what is happening and you can do more things with them. They're RegQueryValueEx, RegSetValueEx, RegOpenKeyEx, RegCloseKey and others. Remember that in order you can use these functions you have to declare them first and you need some knowledge about how windows APIs work.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
09-08-2004 08:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
VB Runtime in my programs Installer? - by Salem on 09-08-2004 at 05:21 PM
RE: VB Runtime in my programs Installer? - by Choli on 09-08-2004 at 08:44 PM
RE: VB Runtime in my programs Installer? - by RaceProUK on 09-08-2004 at 10:03 PM
RE: VB Runtime in my programs Installer? - by lopardo on 09-08-2004 at 10:16 PM
RE: VB Runtime in my programs Installer? - by CookieRevised on 09-09-2004 at 02:22 AM
RE: VB Runtime in my programs Installer? - by RaceProUK on 09-09-2004 at 09:16 AM
RE: VB Runtime in my programs Installer? - by Dempsey on 09-09-2004 at 09:46 AM
RE: VB Runtime in my programs Installer? - by Choli on 09-09-2004 at 07:45 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: