What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » [split] reputation system abuse

[split] reputation system abuse
Author: Message:
Sam Spade

<Insert inspirational comment here>

58 / – / –
RE: [split] reputation system abuse
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Although "herd" (I like that term :p) voting does occur,
Thank you, this one admission is all that is needed.
quote:
I hardly think it is happening that often without everyone having a good reason...and if it does an admin can always sort it :P
Once more, all depends on what the 'good reason' is; for a start - positive or negative reputation votes based on personality, 'like' or 'dislike', disagreement or 'herd' voting have no place in a technical forum.

In all honesty, responses such as 'what does his account matter anyway' are not reassuring because such an attitude can be applied to any person at any time for any reason.   That being said, I'm very grateful for the post, it proves my point quite nicely.
quote:
however the only reason I gave you a negative rep was because I summed up a few of your posts and you seemed a little arrogant
<shrug> I've been called worse and, to be honest, I didn't even realise you'd made that vote until you pointed it out. Like I said, reputation votes are fundamentally flawed and easily discounted.  The only redeeming feature is that anybody can examine anybody's messages at any time and decide for themselves if a negative vote is justified (which is a good thing otherwise we might all start believing TheBlasphemer's assessment of Cookie in his/her negative vote.)
quote:
with your definition of spyware which was wrong...
<shrug> That's debateable.
quote:
You'll find most users only give reps for a good reason, and if they don't they will be removed if you PM an admin...
Reputation voting is inherently flawed.
12-12-2004 02:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: