What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Messenger Plus! Detection?

Messenger Plus! Detection?
Author: Message:
Syntax ERROR

– / Male / –
O.P. Messenger Plus! Detection?
I know this topic has been discussed before here, and I truly apologize for bringing it back up but I believe I've found something that might work or something to consider. Please don’t flood this thread with useless information that has already been discussed in the thread posted above, as they aren’t going to happen.

MP! Detection, a well desired feature in MSG Plus!. Reason why we can not have it: Privacy issues.

Ok, so here's my thinking in MSG plus! There's a feature that allows you to make "personalized status" by adding a suffix of "{status}" to your Display Name, Plus! on your contacts computer, reads and determines that it’s a personal status then displays accordingly. The reason I'm mentioning this, we're saying the status tag is not an invasion of privacy.

Therefor my suggestion is to make a prefix of "[MP]" as the "" would represent the version number. Then the contacts MP! will read and determine by the , that you have -- MSG Plus! x.xx -- then take that prefix and change it into an icon (if possible) to make it more recognizable.

With this when you send a message with MP! content, it will check if your contact has the prefix of [MP] in their name and determine if the contact can receive this feature (if in the future a new features is a valuable, it will still send the content, that a version lower can handle but not the new feature). If your contact does not have [MP] as a prefix, you will be displayed a notice like, "Your contact does not have or is hiding MSG plus! and your message could not be sent. Would you like to /ping?" If your contact can not handle the feature you are sending, it will displayed something like, "Your contact has MSG Plus x.xx and does not support the feature you're sending. Your message was not sent" Your contact will receive a message like, "Your contact has tried to send you MSG Plus! content that is not supported by your version. Would you like to upgrade?"

Just like in the personal status non MSG Plus!'ers see the suffix of {Status} they will see a prefix of [MP]. As I mentioned above I do not believe this would be a privacy issue, as this is an optional tag. You will no longer receive MP! content if turned off, unless your contact has "/ping"ed you and now their MP! will bypass the [MP] check until ether of you log off, but you will still be able to send MSG Plus content.

The reason I have decided to use a prefix is because it’s not privet and it’s more like a “/ping” but in your name. I don’t know if this will work but I thought I’d suggest it.

This is all just an idea and can be changed to work better with the program. Please tell me if this will work, or is a good way to implement it into an already super program. Thanks for your time and comments.

--just a thought that came to my mind :) thought i'd suggest it. --
[Image: Syntax_ERROR.gif]
04-19-2005 02:49 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Messenger Plus! Detection? - by Syntax ERROR on 04-19-2005 at 02:49 AM
RE: Messenger Plus! Detection? - by RaceProUK on 04-19-2005 at 08:18 AM
RE: Messenger Plus! Detection? - by Chestah on 04-19-2005 at 09:32 AM
RE: Messenger Plus! Detection? - by linx05 on 04-19-2005 at 09:56 AM
RE: Messenger Plus! Detection? - by RaceProUK on 04-19-2005 at 10:58 AM
RE: Messenger Plus! Detection? - by Syntax ERROR on 04-20-2005 at 11:22 AM