What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Messenger Plus! Detection?

Messenger Plus! Detection?
Author: Message:
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
RE: Messenger Plus! Detection?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In Plus! there are no features which explicitly depend on such a thing.

Custom sounds, text format, nickname formatting and surely some others cause that non-Plus users see a lot of weird things.

quote:
He doesn't want to use the MSN protocol as this can be the cause for more problems and even people blaming Messenger Plus! for *beeping* up their connection and what not...
I didn't talk about protcol reverse-tricking. I said adding certain strings to the first sent message (like for example a transparent smilie with the code (!MP352)) or to the first chat-nickname sent saying hey! I've got this plus version. This is a legal use of the protocol (like using the formatting characters or sending the soundID) that is nearly transparent at human level.

quote:
He also doesn't want Messenger Plus! to connect to the other user directly (P2P) either for the same reasons
This is completely understandable, there is no real need for that.

quote:
such a auto-check feature could always be disabled by the other user (for privacy reasons), making the "benefit" of auto-detecing features which can be used, rather useless. Making the whole auto-detect-plus-version useless...
New setup step:

code:
Plus! now lets your contacts with Plus! automatically know whether you have Plus! installed or not. This makes a lot easier to use its best features like Custom Sounds and Nickname Colouring. Leave this box checked to enable this feature. If, for privacy reasons, you prefer not to let other Plus!-enabled contacts know you have Plus! installed, uncheck it. This option does neither enable nor disable any Plus! feature, but makes easier to know if some features will work well on your contact's side or not. Either way will still be able to know whether others have Plus! installed or not.

[X] Allow Plus! to silently let others Plus! contacts know you have it installed
(unchecking this could also disable the /ping response, by default)

Now: how many people would realistically uncheck the option? Who would care that much about privacy to not to let others know the version of your Plus! (and implicitly that they have Plus! installed)?
I don't think that would be many people. As well as very few actually disable the option of sending usage stats to the server.

What happens if you try to send a Custom Sound, for example, to a user that doesn't have Plus! (or that may have that option disabled but you know s/he has). Well, Plus! may show you a dialog telling you:

code:
Warning: This user may not have Plus! installed. The feature you are trying to use will probably not work as expected on this contact. Are you sure you want to use this feature?
[ ] Don't ask me again for this contact.
[Yes] [No]

If you know s/he has, check the box and press Yes. If you're not sure, press Yes. If you know s/he doesn't or are too unsure to send the sound, press No. If that contact told you he would never be using Plus! check the box.

I think Plus! should be nice to non-Plus! users. Let me put another example and I'm done, ok? :P

Name formatting is a pain in the ass for non-Plus!ers and even worse if you coloured your nickname with a rainbow.

When you start to chat with one contact, the first time you say something to the other, the full tagged nickname may be sent along, but the further times, Plus could replace the chat-name with a no color version of it (with no tags) and then two things could happen:
Non-Plus! users would see the nickname well, in plain text, not formatted, but at least without the ugly tags.
Plus! users: Plus! would see "aha, the nickname is the same just without tags, let's remember the tags and replace the nickname with the one with the tags".
Ok, you can say here this would require some cheating with the protocol. But this would not cause anything strange, because what it would do is to cuttoff certain characters and not add odd things to it whatsoever.

This is KeyStorm's dissertation about Plus! Detection for today, expect a lot more in the future :D;)

Btw, pleased to see you around, Cookie :)
04-25-2005 06:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Messenger Plus! Detection? - by Syntax ERROR on 04-19-2005 at 02:49 AM
RE: Messenger Plus! Detection? - by RaceProUK on 04-19-2005 at 08:18 AM
RE: Messenger Plus! Detection? - by Chestah on 04-19-2005 at 09:32 AM
RE: Messenger Plus! Detection? - by linx05 on 04-19-2005 at 09:56 AM
RE: Messenger Plus! Detection? - by RaceProUK on 04-19-2005 at 10:58 AM
RE: Messenger Plus! Detection? - by Syntax ERROR on 04-20-2005 at 11:22 AM
RE: Messenger Plus! Detection? - by KeyStorm on 04-20-2005 at 04:21 PM
RE: Messenger Plus! Detection? - by Ezra on 04-20-2005 at 07:06 PM