What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Silent installation problem

Silent installation problem
Author: Message:
macrus

O.P. Huh?  Silent installation problem
Hello

I have problem with unattended/silent installation of MessengerPlus by  group policy. I use a script that is run on system startup (before logon) that first checks if msgplus.exe exists in any of typical directories, then runs installation from a network lacation with option /SilentInstallNoSponsor.

Everything is fine until the installation finishes and Messenger window is launched. Notice that it appears _before_ logon screen and installation somehow stalls (it is: Messenger window can be normally accessed but the script stops). Even if I close Messenger window, the script does not continue progress and startup is hanged until GPO script processing timeout comes (10min).
Additional problem is that this appears to be a security issue also - MessengerPlus has features (like task scheduler) that allow access to the system without logging in! I just ran Explorer from it and normal desktop appeared with enough rights to access anywhere ...

I know I could put the installation into user login script but I prefer it to be user-independent...
What is also strange is that some time ago, when I created all this automation mechanism (around version 2.5x I think), it worked...

Is there any other switch or way to prevent Messenger from launching after installation ?

regards
Maciej
06-20-2005 08:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Silent installation problem - by macrus on 06-20-2005 at 08:02 PM
RE: Silent installation problem - by absorbation on 06-20-2005 at 08:19 PM
RE: Silent installation problem - by RaceProUK on 06-21-2005 at 08:41 AM
RE: Silent installation problem - by macrus on 06-21-2005 at 03:02 PM
RE: Silent installation problem - by Patchou on 06-30-2005 at 04:52 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode