What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » what is this popup trying to tell me

what is this popup trying to tell me
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me
I'm just going to repeat stuff here, but meh....

No software and even no hardware is dependable on the power gird's frequency, that's pure BS (in the context of hardware of computers I mean)...

The ONLY thing that MIGHT be dependable on it is your power supply unit for your computer and that can of course by no means be controlled by any software. Even so, power supplies (or any other hardware that is to be plugged in into the power grid) MUST be able to run on frequencies between 50-60Hz, if they don't they even are illegal to be sold and even ditributed for safety reasons. Those are international standards!!!!

This said, it is possible that the frequency of a power grid can interfear with display components (flickering will occur). This useually happens only in old equipment which isn't isolated/filtered enough and with power grid cables of extremely low quality (the question is also: is it even safe to use such "bad" quality stuff now-a-days?). So this might be the only reasons I can think of why such a popup might exist to filter (by software) the flickering that might occur. However, as said, this usually only occurs in old and not good enough adapted equipment.

So all this sounds like a lame attempt to me to prevent frequency interfairing in the CCD of the camera. It is an extremely and very dodgy way of cutting the costs of building a webcam. All it takes are a very few small electrical components added to the camera's hardware to prevent this from happening; if it happens at all btw, as the chances of frequency interference are extremely slim anyways unless you physically hold your camera against power cables, and even then it would be extremely small...

If this isn't a lame virus/spyware popup then I would suggest to simply confirm the right setting and kill that stupid helper-application afterwards, as this is most likely not needed at all.

Logitec should fix this issue ASAP IMHO, and stop distributing such "faulty" hardware which requires some setting/program like that... (or at least fix the dodgy layout of the dialog).

PS: those who drag PC monitors into this, this has got nothing to do with this popup...

This post was edited on 07-05-2005 at 01:54 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-05-2005 01:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
what is this popup trying to tell me - by absorbation on 07-04-2005 at 05:58 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by Dempsey on 07-04-2005 at 06:02 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by Jhrono on 07-04-2005 at 06:03 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by absorbation on 07-04-2005 at 06:05 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by RaceProUK on 07-04-2005 at 07:22 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by saralk on 07-04-2005 at 07:25 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by ShawnZ on 07-04-2005 at 07:26 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by RaceProUK on 07-04-2005 at 07:32 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by absorbation on 07-04-2005 at 07:37 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by Jhrono on 07-04-2005 at 08:39 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by Reaper on 07-04-2005 at 10:41 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by mwe99 on 07-04-2005 at 10:49 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by Dane on 07-04-2005 at 11:04 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by ShawnZ on 07-05-2005 at 02:35 AM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by RaceProUK on 07-05-2005 at 01:09 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by CookieRevised on 07-05-2005 at 01:49 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by absorbation on 07-05-2005 at 03:32 PM
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me - by saralk on 07-05-2005 at 04:17 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: