What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Stability problem with DisplayToast() function

Stability problem with DisplayToast() function
Author: Message:
KooKiz

O.P. Stability problem with DisplayToast() function
Hi, like a few one start to know, I'm creating a plugin to read rss feeds (in visual basic.net).
In first versions, since the displaytoast function can be called only from the main thread, I was using a forced status change (and my displaytoast() call was in the onStatusChange function). After a few weeks, I noticed (and at least one user also did) that msn sometimes hanged after displaying the notification. Since I didn't see any error in my code, I though it was the quick status change which was making msn freeze.
But now I've completely rewritten this part, and I don't use the status change anymore (I instead use System.Windows.Forms.Form.Invoke function to make the main thread call the function I want). It worked well for a few day, but now I've again this damn freeze.
Since my code to display notification is really short, I'm really starting to think that the problem come from the DisplayToast() function.

code:

Public Function show_notification()
        If (rssreminding = 1) Then
            DisplayToast("Last News : " + remindrss, "RssPlug", remindurl, True)
            rssreminding = 0
        Else
            DisplayToast("News : " + titlerss(index_to_show), "RssPlug", urlrss(index_to_show), True)
            remindrss = titlerss(index_to_show)
            remindurl = urlrss(index_to_show)
            index_to_show = -1
        End If
End Function

If I put a Msgbox before and after the displaytoast call, only the one before is displayed. I've checked the variables I used to call DisplayToast, but there is nothing special in it.

So, do anyone ever got the same problem ? Can a messenger plus developper tell me if that's really the DisplayToast function which is making my plugin freeze ? Since I don't have the function's source code, I can't do anything more than ask :/
07-25-2005 08:42 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Stability problem with DisplayToast() function - by KooKiz on 07-25-2005 at 08:42 AM
RE: Stability problem with DisplayToast() function - by KooKiz on 07-31-2005 at 01:22 PM
RE: Stability problem with DisplayToast() function - by KokiriChild on 10-04-2005 at 05:22 PM
RE: Stability problem with DisplayToast() function - by (CyBeRDuDe) on 10-04-2005 at 08:25 PM
RE: Stability problem with DisplayToast() function - by Patchou on 10-04-2005 at 09:02 PM
RE: Stability problem with DisplayToast() function - by KokiriChild on 10-05-2005 at 07:35 AM
RE: Stability problem with DisplayToast() function - by CookieRevised on 10-05-2005 at 02:40 PM
RE: Stability problem with DisplayToast() function - by Patchou on 10-05-2005 at 04:52 PM
RE: Stability problem with DisplayToast() function - by KooKiz on 10-13-2005 at 08:51 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: